Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Two MetroSafe supervisors suspended for not sounding sirens

Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/B2/20 ... ing-sirens
Two MetroSafe Communications supervisors who the city says failed to sound outdoor warning sirens during a February storm in which a tornado touched down in eastern Jefferson County have been suspended for five days without pay.

Edward Cox and DeAnna Glynn were suspended for violating ?standards of ethical conduct, general inefficiency and neglect of duty,? according to documents from Doug Hamilton, the Louisville Metro Emergency Management director, recommending the suspensions.

The supervisors will begin serving the suspensions next week, Hamilton said in an email Thursday.

The outdoor warning sirens weren?t sounded on the morning of Feb. 28 ? despite the National Weather Service issuing a tornado warning for the county.

A report reviewed by Mayor Greg Fischer and the Metro Council in March cited problems with technology and confusion inside the dispatch center after the tornado warning was issued at 4:31 a.m. as reasons the sirens weren?t sounded, but ultimately it placed the blame on the supervisors who it said could have triggered the sirens manually when monitoring TV and radio reports.

The report, which was by Hamilton, said Cox and Glynn should have known there was a tornado warning and triggered the system.

Hamilton recommended the suspensions to Louisville Metro Human Resources on March 25, according to records.

In recommending the suspensions, Hamilton wrote that both Cox and Glynn neglected their duties by ?failing to properly monitor, prepare, or react to an on-going severe weather situation when a Tornado Warning was issued for Jefferson County ? this failure eroded the public?s trust in government?s ability to keep them safe.?

In the fallout over the siren mishap, the city made changes to its emergency communications, including testing weather alert encoders at MetroSafe that failed to pick up signals from the National Weather Service indicating there was a tornado warning. The city also replaced weather radios and changed antennas.

Supervisors are now equipped to receive text alerts on cell phones and e-mail notifications from the weather service, and flashing lights now go off during weather service alerts.

Reporter Chris Quay can be reached at (502) 582-4241.
Not sure why the local news media is reporting this since Louisville isn't exactly "northern Kentucky" (at least not to people in this area), but it is Kentucky-related, so I guess that counts.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

sirenita

Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm

It's regional at least, and a good story for the general public. However, I am confused. Did they neglect to sound the sirens, did they not know there was a warning, or did they try and the sirens failed? Forgive me, I haven't had caffeine yet :)
chicks like sirens, too.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Mon May 16, 2011 5:20 pm

Sounds like it was a combination of things:
A report reviewed by Mayor Greg Fischer and the Metro Council in March cited problems with technology and confusion inside the dispatch center after the tornado warning was issued at 4:31 a.m. as reasons the sirens weren?t sounded, but ultimately it placed the blame on the supervisors who it said could have triggered the sirens manually when monitoring TV and radio reports.

In the fallout over the siren mishap, the city made changes to its emergency communications, including testing weather alert encoders at MetroSafe that failed to pick up signals from the National Weather Service indicating there was a tornado warning. The city also replaced weather radios and changed antennas.
However, the supervisors should have been able to sound the sirens manually, and they didn't. That's what got them suspended.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Retired Ed
New User

Re: Two MetroSafe supervisors suspended for not sounding sirens

Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:22 am

and the real truth is....One supervisor had no idea how to activate the sirens since I was only recently assigned to the Comm Center...allegedly for a short stint. Supervisor Glynn and 2 other 2 didnt have the desire to train me, as I wouldnt, in thier opinion be staying very long....they stonewalled . I had sent MULTIPLE emails to my original manage stating this, but to no avail...I cant do what i dont know...while the other supervisor said she had training but we were to wait for another person, an EMA rep to call, advise what sirens(area) to activate and walk us through. I have a copy of that document..I did get a call...but shw was so drink she giggled and called me honey, unable to give direction becasueshe said she had no idea what I was suppose to do...grr...The director, The deputy director , the Comm Center Manager and myown boss KNEW I was stnewalled, and yet they did nothing. I have since retired but with a very sour grape inventory on hand..If the news knew what really happened..the heads of those I mentioned would be either severeded or at leats hemorrhaging...the facts were covered up...and Doug Hamilton made up hisstory to save himeself and his gilfriend...the Depy Dir....FACT! I left with no fanfare...20 years...not even a hand shake goodbye...even though I took a 5 day rip for the team, This is the 1st time I have spoken out about the incident...for wehsatits worth..I feel better. Blessings, Ed Cox :2001:

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Re: Two MetroSafe supervisors suspended for not sounding sirens

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:30 am

^ Loldrunkpost.
-The Princess

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”