Daniel

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 pm

pyramid head wrote:I do not know where I read this, but I think somebody said that STL-10's were made for mountainous area's, and the low tone is for penetration. Is this correct?
I don't know about STL-10s, but I'd heard that about Toshiba sirens and Japan's mountainous terrain. Makes sense, though. One important detail often forgotten about penetration is that an "attack" signal cuts through ambient noise better because it covers a range of frequencies. I have heard distant sirens where all I could hear was part of the wind up and wind down. The steady pitch was too high to carry.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

pyramid head

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:58 pm

Well, even if I can't get the STL-10, I ahve just found a very neglected STH-10 in another neighboring town! :D
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

pyramid head

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Well, I did the next best thing to trying to find one. All of the sirens in this area are active, so I set up a deal with another member. So around october if everything goes as I expect, I will have a T-1000 head and a STH-10. :D

CABLEVision

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:37 pm

Theres one right before san diego on the 5 freeway. If I remeber right it was pretty rusty.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

pyramid head

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:20 am

it does not matter, I can't leave this state in a vehicle by myself untill I'm 18, so I am in quite a tight spot. My mother has been very good about the whole situation, and has agreed to let me go and pick the stuff up when we go to carlisle in october.(somebody has to ride with me)

500AT

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:17 am

pyramid head wrote:I do not know where I read this, but I think somebody said that STL-10's were made for mountainous area's, and the low tone is for penetration. Is this correct?
Yes, they are. According to the older Federal Signal catalogs from the 1970s, they say that the STL-10 has better penetration in hilly and mountainous areas. Also, to distinguish between other high-pitch sirens that might be in the same area.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

pyramid head

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:19 am

okay, we have a 14 page revival! I am curious of the motor styles on the STL's. I notice some are just smooth and round, and others look capped and have lines going to the motor base (such as the one below).
Then the round one is like this
I would like to know what years the "capped" one was used, because it has a lot more character.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”