Pi_User5

What happened to the Springfield, IL Thunderbolts?

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 am

I've lived in Springfield, IL all my life (only 17) and remember all the old tornado sirens. I always remembered driving past the Stratton building and noticing a tornado siren on top of it. Well, I never thought anything of it until now. Last November, I was in Rock Island at the high school football stadium and I happened to notice a tornado siren outside. I took a photo and went home and did some research. At the same time, I found http://visuals.sj-r.com/picturing-the-p ... or-a-sound and realized the siren on top of the Stratton building I've been seeing for years was a Thunderbolt 1000t. So now I'm on a mission to find out what happened to them since there was 4 of them installed in 1957. As far as I know, 3 of the 4 have been gone for a long time and the Stratton building one was removed sometime between 2012 and 2013.

It really bothers me about what happened to them. Does anyone know what happened to them? I saw one post saying they used the parts from one to get their working but other than that, nothing. It's just that I would really like to get my hands on a Thunderbolt 1000t or 1003 and refurbish it (and finally end my quest to find out where they went). Thanks :TBolt:

Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Re: What happened to the Springfield, IL Thunderbolts?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 am

On a school trip to Springfield I went to in 2013, I saw that exact same Thunderbolt. I came to learn that it was taken down shortly after like you said. I took a picture of the siren when I saw it, but I will have to pull it up. In addition, there is also a cool picture of when it was first installed as well.

The old system was replaced with the new current ASC system in place. The remaining Thunderbolts appeared to rotate until 2011 or something. A few still stand, and they can be found on the Illinois State Siren Map.

Link to another thread: https://www.thesirenboard.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=10985

Illinois State Siren Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 000002&z=6
Attachments
IL_SPR_PicPast01242015_VJ.jpg
DSCN1585.JPG

Pi_User5

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:25 am

Stevan Z wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 am
On a school trip to Springfield I went to in 2013, I saw that exact same Thunderbolt. I came to learn that it was taken down shortly after like you said. I took a picture of the siren when I saw it, but I will have to pull it up. In addition, there is also a cool picture of when it was first installed as well.
The photo of it first installed is in the link I posted. :) I'm going to call the city one day and find out what happened to it. As for the rest of the Thunderbolts, I found out that they were sold sometime in 2011 at an auction.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:44 am

I've got an old Federal Enterprises Model 3A that came from Springfield, if I remember right they had several of those, a good dozen or so Thunderbolts, some Federal 2T's, and a few EOWS 612's. I'm probably missing a few models but those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head at the moment.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Springfield also had at least one Model 5 that was right by the fun park on I 72 which was replaced many moons ago with a T128. Althougb I can't find the article anymore Springfield had a number of SD10s that were donated to several nearby towns. There was a picture of the mayor at the time standing in front of them in a storage lot as he he gave a short press conference.

Pi_User5

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Right. I saw that they were sold some time in 2011. But as Steven Z said, there was a Thunderbolt taken down sometime in 2013 or 2014 on the Stratton building. I would like to know what happened to it. Does anyone know the address for the city lot and who I could call to ask about it?

Pi_User5

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:45 pm

The city's website has this page of numbers: http://www.springfield.il.us/ContactUs.aspx

Which department should I try?

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:52 pm

That thing is probably long, long gone. I'd start with the city administrator, but I doubt that siren is still around.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Pi_User5

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 am

Sadly, you might be right but looking at the positives, it may be sitting at the city lot rusting away. Btw, by city administrator is the same thing as City of Springfield Operator? Just making sure we are on the same page.

Btw, were else could I look for Thunderbolts?

Pi_User5

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:45 pm

I contacted the city and I am waiting for a response.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”