nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

A pointless siren failure.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm

On Thursday, I attended a Clare County siren test at my favorite Vortex - the Freeman Township Hall Vortex. Unfortunately it failed, but the ambience of Air Horn coming from the Silver Lake Vortex was amazing! Just wish I hadn't shut down the camera by then. LKreykes also experienced a Clare failure, this time at a 4004 in city limits. It just wasn't the day for enthusiasts in Clare Co.

I honestly have no idea why the freeman siren doesn't work. The green status light is on, and I can get county radio signals at the siren. My guess is that the antenna for the radio doesn't work well or is disconnected.

Also, i've thought out the 2008 in Isabella Co some more. There is a 4004 at a FD across the street, which supposedly sounds for firecalls. Either the 4004 is ONLY used for fire calls and the 2008 is a tornado siren, or vice versa.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

JMAN
YouTube Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Discord: @JMAN.WiS&S#2001

Re: A pointless siren failure.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm

I would contact the municipality that owns it and let them know it is not working. Obviously the two way isn't doing its job. Either that, or they know it is broken and can't fix it for some reason.
Owner of a Federal Signal 2001-DC & B9

YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/JMANWiSS
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/99160587@N07/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jman.wissotas ... als/?hl=en
Discord: JMAN.WiS&S#2001

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:46 pm

JMAN wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm
I would contact the municipality that owns it and let them know it is not working. Obviously the two way isn't doing its job. Either that, or they know it is broken and can't fix it for some reason.
Luke Kreykes already called them.
-Nik VW

emofficer

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:05 am

You would be surprised at what goes on with sirens. I look out for 128 of them everyday. Electronics fail, breakers fail, computers fail.What runs today has trouble tomorrow. Age and being exposed to temperature fluctuations, as well as lightning.
On electronic models, other counties have told me about circuit boards and driver problems.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:14 pm

emofficer wrote:
You would be surprised at what goes on with sirens. I look out for 128 of them everyday. Electronics fail, breakers fail, computers fail.What runs today has trouble tomorrow. Age and being exposed to temperature fluctuations, as well as lightning.
On electronic models, other counties have told me about circuit boards and driver problems.
Which municipality are you with?
-Nik VW

emofficer

Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Madison County, Alabama

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:20 pm

Phone Goat wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:08 pm
On Thursday, I attended a Clare County siren test at my favorite Vortex - the Freeman Township Hall Vortex. Unfortunately it failed, but the ambience of Air Horn coming from the Silver Lake Vortex was amazing! Just wish I hadn't shut down the camera by then. LKreykes also experienced a Clare failure, this time at a 4004 in city limits. It just wasn't the day for enthusiasts in Clare Co.
After doing some scouting, i'm pretty sure that the radio isn't working. I've talked to a relative that has a condo in the retirement campground across the street, and he hasn't heard it in years & years. I've been over there at 3:00 PM on the 1st Thursday, and i've heard a Vortex, just not the right one.
Also, i've thought out the 2008 in Isabella Co some more. There is a 4004 at a FD across the street, which supposedly sounds for firecalls. Either the 4004 is ONLY used for fire calls and the 2008 is a tornado siren, or vice versa.
Either that, or Isabella county is just too lazy to remove it. Probably the Latter.
-Nik VW

JMAN
YouTube Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Discord: @JMAN.WiS&S#2001

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 pm

emofficer wrote:
Huntsville at one point had a few Federal Signal Modulators that were killed by lightning, correct?
Owner of a Federal Signal 2001-DC & B9

YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/JMANWiSS
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/99160587@N07/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jman.wissotas ... als/?hl=en
Discord: JMAN.WiS&S#2001

emofficer

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:45 pm

JMAN wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 pm
Huntsville at one point had a few Federal Signal Modulators that were killed by lightning, correct?
We had 2 modulators in Big Spring Park and one got relocated to Ditto Landing because it lost its home on the parking deck. The one remaining in Big Spring Park got its control box flooded and was repaired. The second one got zapped by lightning at Ditto. Seems like we may have took a lightning hit on the Big Spring one too. It is now a model 2.

Here is a picture of the modulator that used to be on the parking deck. I took this in 2002....wow 16 years ago!

Edit: Found this one of the modulator across from the old Hilton hotel in Big Spring Park:
Last edited by emofficer on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emofficer

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08 pm

Follow up to the modulators:

Flooded controls 2003:

Lightning strike at Ditto in 2002 just after the siren was moved from parking deck downtown:

Later on at the scrap yard:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”