djscrizzle

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:08 pm

Daniel wrote:I'm curious as to whether each rotor is single-tone or dual. It could be, for example, 10/12 and 10/12, 10 and 12, or 12 and 12. If it were 10 and 12 (or whatever the ratio is), the rotation would create an interesting high-low effect as each side came around.
It appears to be dual toned, both sides, my best guess is the town wanted maximum coverage and cheap, so thus the single siren.

sirenman1bd

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:30 pm

Very interesting, looks like 2 500ATs stuck together.
BTW, Lakewood, CO's siren test was today, my dad heard it.
There is a thunderbolt siren in my head, it is always going off...

Robert Gift

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:35 pm

NOW you tell me?
Denver's monthly test was today at 11 a.m..

One minute late. Last month's did not happen.

What electronic system does Lakewood have?
I know they have no real sirens.
Thanks

djscrizzle

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:27 am

Robert Gift wrote:NOW you tell me?
Denver's monthly test was today at 11 a.m..

One minute late. Last month's did not happen.

What electronic system does Lakewood have?
I know they have no real sirens.
Thanks
Lakewood has Whelens. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb_YY65t ... 40&index=7 Theres a video of a 4016 with an absolutely insane reverb from the terrain surrounding the site.

Pete

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Hey DJ,

Do you know anyone there at Calhan's city hall who might let you look at the manual for that siren?? It'd sure be interesting to see the specs on it. I tried contacting the Manitou Springs city hall in regards to their siren, but got no respons.

Funny...I drove to Calhan about 2 days before you put this message up, just to see if I could find the siren. I forgot to take my camera though. Wonder if there are any other small towns in the region that has one of these babies?

djscrizzle

Re: 550

Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:25 am

Pete wrote:Hey DJ,

Do you know anyone there at Calhan's city hall who might let you look at the manual for that siren?? It'd sure be interesting to see the specs on it. I tried contacting the Manitou Springs city hall in regards to their siren, but got no respons.

Funny...I drove to Calhan about 2 days before you put this message up, just to see if I could find the siren. I forgot to take my camera though. Wonder if there are any other small towns in the region that has one of these babies?
I do indeed know people there. Buddy Johnson, chief of police would be first on the list, then of course, the mayor, and the fire chief would be the three people I'm going to be getting a hold of in my (and the forum's collective) search for answers on this. Manitou's siren is the exact same model, so it shall apply to both sirens.

Pete

Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:07 am

Awesome!! Thanks for your hard work!!! :D

djscrizzle

Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm

I talked to the town clerk and she said we test on the first Friday in May.
She was unsure, so she will be talking to the police chief and I should know by the day's end.

djscrizzle

Fri May 02, 2008 7:08 pm

djscrizzle wrote:I talked to the town clerk and she said we test on the first Friday in May.
She was unsure, so she will be talking to the police chief and I should know by the day's end.
It was postponed to next Friday, May 9th, 7:00 PM. Weather depending of course.

The test consists of 3x 1 minute alert tones, and the all-clear is a 3 minute alert tone.

Anyone in Colorado who wants to observe this siren in action is more than welcome to attend. The address of the Siren is 556 Colorado Ave. Calhan, CO 80808.

From Interstate 25, take exit 150 (Woodmen road) Make a left, head east until you reach US 24. Turn left at US 24. Take 24 east to Calhan. Turn right on Colorado Avenue. Calhan Town Hall is the third building on the left.
Bring earplugs... This thing is LOUD!

Robert Gift

Fri May 02, 2008 10:55 pm

djscrizzle wrote:...It was postponed to next Friday, May 9th, 7:00 PM. Weather depending of course. ...!
Since they missed their First Friday in May, ask if they can reschedule the First Friday in June!
We will be back from China and could make the drive to attend.
(Or hope for bad weather the next several Fridays.)
Why so late?
There is more chance of active storms in the area at 7 p.m.
Rarely do storms occur as early as Noon. They are in the building stage and to the west at that time.
Denver does their MONTHLY tests the 2nd Wednesdays at 11 a.m.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”