djscrizzle

Calhan, Colorado siren

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:27 am

Got a pic of it today...
I'll be talking to the city about getting better photos, and hopefully one of the control box.

The annual test takes place the first Thursday of May. If I can, I'll be doing at least audio, hopefully video footage too.

BTW: I'll let off my electronic siren with voice shortly after the city's test and video it too.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:29 am

Wow! good shot of that 550. And just for the OT record, I'm in Tempe, AZ and will be trying to get a shot of the dual Whelen units there along the Rio Salado. I have yet to find one, but it looks like there is one right around the US Airways HQ, where I'm doing training.
-The Princess

kswx29

Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 am

Hope you can get a video of one of those! It would be awesome.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Robert Gift

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:19 am

Interesting!
So, what is it exactly?
HP?
Ports?
Does it slowly rotate?
Is it a 2t22 on its side?
Thank you.
Here is aerial view:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... &encType=1

djscrizzle

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:31 am

Robert Gift wrote:Interesting!
So, what is it exactly?
HP?
Ports?
Does it slowly rotate?
Is it a 2t22 on its side?
Thank you.
It is a rotating siren. Similar to Federal 500 AT. Double headed. Not sure on Horsepower...
Ports? Sounds lots like a Federal 500 AT normally does, not sure on port ratio unless it had a cover off or something like that so I could see...

NOT a 2T22 on its side from my observations and comparisons to a 500AT through photos and audio or anything else (so far, could be wrong) sounds nothing like a 2T22 would.

It has a deep, low and quite penetrating sound. can be heard IN homes inside of the town limits of Calhan, and 6 miles away on Palomino Drive, if it's somewhat quiet... and Calhan's in a valley, so that's a testament to it's powerful sound capability... When its winding down, it can be felt through the ground about 2 blocks away if you're outside (roughly 800-1,000 ft from siren) and its about 110 to 120 dB to my best guess (no SPL meter to verify though) because we're on a small knob, raising us to about the level of the siren's head.

On another note: I pray this thing has backup power, cos without that, a storm could knock the town off the grid n we'd have no warning system in place, except for a couple cop cars using the PA function and a bullhorn I have...

Rheems1

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:34 am

Do you mean to tell me that it is still an active siren AND we have someone who lives in the same city that can record it........ I don't think my heart can take all of these great discoveries......*grabs chest* "I'm comin Lizbeth" (Bad Sanford and Son reference)....and don't you dare ask what Sanford and Son is or I am going to feel like an old fart LOL. In all seriousness this is really great and I am really looking foward to hearing exactly what this rare gem sounds like.

Dave Fritz

Robert Gift

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:41 am

If we weren't going to be in China, my wife and I would have driven to Calhan to see, hear and feel it.

Would they ever test it on another occasion?
Thank you.

Three of these in Colorado?
Calhan, Manitou Springs, and Simla?
Credit and thanks to FirstSiren2t22
Borrowed from Manitou Springs, Colorado Siren post by Pete.
http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=395

Justin

Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:14 pm

I think that's the same 550 that's on Geo-caching.

Well, the stand colour is the same.

SirenMadness

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34 pm

It looks like there is a big gear in there, since the housing for the rotator is big, with the rotator motor being to the side of the box; this is a guess. The thing has perfect fifty-fifty distribution of weight! :lol:
I thought that only one 550 was ever discovered. :)
~ Peter Radanovic

Daniel

Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm curious as to whether each rotor is single-tone or dual. It could be, for example, 10/12 and 10/12, 10 and 12, or 12 and 12. If it were 10 and 12 (or whatever the ratio is), the rotation would create an interesting high-low effect as each side came around.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”