Melvin Potts

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:06 am

I wonder if any of the injured have a right to file a lawsuit under Virginia laws, because their community did not have an outdoor warning siren system?
There was one fatality from the tornadoes/thunderstorms which hit Nashville in April of 1998.

It wasn't directly related to the tornadoes which plowed through the area.

However, a young man who was in Centennial Park during a severe thunderstorm failed to seek shelter. Part of a tree was blown down on him; he died later from the injuries.

At one time his mother was threatening to sue the city for not having a siren system. I don't think the matter ever went to court; maybe this lady realized she didn't have a chance and dropped it..or was just making a threat.

FedTB

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:49 pm

According to the newspaper this morning, it turns out that no one died from any of the now-reported 6 tornadoes (up from 3 originally) that struck Virginia on Monday.

BTW, when we went to Virginia Beach 3 years ago we stayed in a beach house on Sandbridge Beach. :D

500AT

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Here is the preliminary report from the National Weather Service in Wakefield, VA.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/wx_event ... _2008.html

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Rheems1

Thu May 01, 2008 3:54 am

A very interesting topic here... the last time I was in VA Beach I saw a number of sirens. Granted they were all on firehouses and were most likely used when VA Beach was still a volunteer department (unlike the behemoth it has turned into)... but there were there. I can remember 5 Fedalcode Model 5's on different firehouses.... they varied in shape from OK (Engine 29) to Poopy, Farty, Smelly (HQ Station). The Plaza Rescue Squad also had an Alertor that was still being used for Heavy Rescue call responses (10/12 Rotor) and I am glad to report... was extremely loud. As for the rest of the areas, I have seen 1 or 2 T-bolts at the Norfolk Naval Yard while crossing a bridge into Norfolk and I can think of a certain city that HAD a siren system that consisted of 7 Sentry 3V8 sirens... but there were taken down and sold at auction for $150 for the lot... probably not the best decision now... but I guess they knew what they were doing (name not given to protect them and more importantly me because I bought said sirens at auction and don't want them to get the bright idea they want to buy them back). Alot of the towns/cities around that area also have sirens.. the City of Hampton, VA has Model 5's at all of thier firehouses... the city of Chesapeake had 2 STH-10's and some Model 2's... the City of Williamsburg has an SD-10 hidden amongst some trees in town and used to have another SD-10 mounted at Bush Gardens before it became a big deal park (it was mounted on the wooden roller coaster as a matter of fact and yes somewhere in my overflowing collection I have a picture). It is a real shame and tragedy though that this happened and hopefully all of the injured people recover from thier injuries and such.

Rheems1

Thu May 01, 2008 3:55 am

On a seperate note.. after reading Mr. Gift's post about him being in China and his wife admonishing him to be careful if he is going to photograph the siren.... I would like to place Franz in charge of the research (and possibly the steering) committee in charge of getting Robert Gift some help. We will of course need to evaluate all of the centers available, the type of help they can provide, the type of help Mr. Gift needs, whether or not we can get away with putting Robert in a place that serves dog food and deciding how much internet time he should be alloted. While Franz is meeting with his group, we will need another group of people, lead by either myself, Jason C or Daniel (whom I have taken a real liking to) to come up with a plan to hook up his 2T22 at the facilty.... be it with a light switch activation point, an AR Controller or a combination blender/toaster activation system.... of course we will also need to find a way to run 3 phase from his sewage plant to whatever facility we put him in or convert the 2T22 to run on dual single phase motors or use a rotary phase convertor or all three... so we need a committee for this as well. The final committee will need to be chaired by Eric Green and have no less than 2 members but have no more than 3 members.. this is the Goofy s*** committee... thier sole function is to put into motion all of the fun (ie: goofy) things Mr. Gift wants to do with his siren.. be it putting a smoke bomb under the intakes to check for a vortex (we better not do this in VA), blocking off the lower intake and measuring motor rpm/heat, using it as a vegetable slicer, lowering it into the sewage pond and flinging poo and most importantly running it on 110v thru 440v to compare the sound output/resultant pitch that is produced as it tries to spin at 110 and flies away at 440. I guess we should also have a committee to retrieve the siren after it has flown away on 440.... either way.. we need to have meetings and delegations and sub-committees and power trips and pissing matches.... there is so little to do and so much time!!!!!!! I am sure that he will argue that he doesn't need help... but:

Does this look like a man who is capable of knowing what is best for himself?? :lol: :lol: J/K

All out of love Robert... all out of love

Franz?

Thu May 01, 2008 4:49 am

Wait a minute, just one damn minute here, how come I'm in charge of locating and confining Mr Gift to a mental health facility? I damn well didn't volunteer, I never volunteer.

Is it because of that little issue a couple years back when the membership of an unnamed board sent me off to Sensitivity Camp and I managed to get a couple people to rescue me? Hey, I woulda broke out on my own, but it was a lot of fun hangin with the guy who could drive golfballs like rifle shots, and doing other nonaproved things to the camp staff. I'm an old fart in my third childhood, and I'm allowed transgressions.

BTW, what's wrong with the way he's carrying the siren part?

Hell, many years ago I did a similar thing with a traffic cone and followed a goof who had a faggy umbrella strapped to his head. That guy never looked back but a hell of a lot of people were laughing themselves silly. Statute of limitations has to have expired on that one.

Besides, in case it escaped you, this is a siren board, where people freely admit enjoying and collecting sirens. You got any idea how the board population will drop if all the members get adjudged on their sanity and the less than normal members get confined to a locked facility.

AND, for the record, I did attend the auction of the NY State Mental Hospital in Rochester about 10 years back, and needed to rent a UHaul truck to haul my goodies home. My wife, the health care professional did make certain assertions about me belonging at that facility, but she backed off quick when I pointed out she'd have to pay the bills if I was locked up. Besides, all those IV pumps had very nice 6 foot cords and gelcell batterys in them. Anybody need a hospital size Rubbermade laundry wagon on wheels?

AND, I can tell anyone interested what happens to sirens that are connected to improper voltages. You have no idea how many I've seen that suffered that fate.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri May 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Oh man I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life Dave!! I think your idea is excellent though for the world's most unluckiest 2T22.

Anywho, I never knew about all the siren in the Tidewater area of Virginia. I knew about the old 5's on the VA Beach fire stations. I believe this was the old post WWII air raid system. I do rememebr something long ago about the Alertor, but as many times as I've been through Norfolk in my life, I've never seen any Thunderbolts. I guess I'll look harder next time I go up there (which won't be for years probably).

hobbeekid

Fri May 02, 2008 8:55 pm

Rheems1 wrote:On a seperate note.. after reading Mr. Gift's post about him being in China and his wife admonishing him to be careful if he is going to photograph the siren.... I would like to place Franz in charge of the research (and possibly the steering) committee in charge of getting Robert Gift some help. We will of course need to evaluate all of the centers available, the type of help they can provide, the type of help Mr. Gift needs, whether or not we can get away with putting Robert in a place that serves dog food and deciding how much internet time he should be alloted. While Franz is meeting with his group, we will need another group of people, lead by either myself, Jason C or Daniel (whom I have taken a real liking to) to come up with a plan to hook up his 2T22 at the facilty.... be it with a light switch activation point, an AR Controller or a combination blender/toaster activation system.... of course we will also need to find a way to run 3 phase from his sewage plant to whatever facility we put him in or convert the 2T22 to run on dual single phase motors or use a rotary phase convertor or all three... so we need a committee for this as well. The final committee will need to be chaired by Eric Green and have no less than 2 members but have no more than 3 members.. this is the Goofy s*** committee... thier sole function is to put into motion all of the fun (ie: goofy) things Mr. Gift wants to do with his siren.. be it putting a smoke bomb under the intakes to check for a vortex (we better not do this in VA), blocking off the lower intake and measuring motor rpm/heat, using it as a vegetable slicer, lowering it into the sewage pond and flinging poo and most importantly running it on 110v thru 440v to compare the sound output/resultant pitch that is produced as it tries to spin at 110 and flies away at 440. I guess we should also have a committee to retrieve the siren after it has flown away on 440.... either way.. we need to have meetings and delegations and sub-committees and power trips and pissing matches.... there is so little to do and so much time!!!!!!! I am sure that he will argue that he doesn't need help... but:

Does this look like a man who is capable of knowing what is best for himself?? :lol: :lol: J/K

All out of love Robert... all out of love

All the cans have been opened,I can see worms everywhere!!! can this mess be cleaned up?!!! LOL! :lol:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”