Franz?

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Thunderbolt, have your Administrative Assistant call my Administrative Assistant, and they can coordinate A meeting on the subject once they have decided what resort we will meet at and who is funding the meeting.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:32 pm

FedTB said, "With the amount of damage shown on TV that I've seen, I can figure on there being several injuries, but not 200-plus. I'm still of the opinion that a siren system would have saved many injuries from occurring. "

No disagreement there, TB, the issue which I thought would make a good discussion is this one: how best to spend a community's limited resources. If installing a siren system might have prevented the death and some of the injuries, that has to be set against the very likely greater saving of life gained by putting the money somewhere else. If these Virginia communities put in a siren system, there's the very real chance they'd never be used in earnest, against the practical certainty other public safety projects would have an immediate benefit.

I feel sure the injured have no recourse against the communities for not having a siren system. Whether any lives would be saved is speculation to start with (although the sirens likely would have had a benefit). Sovereign immunity isn't totally dead at all.

Fletch

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:18 pm

That area is probably as anti-siren as the entire state of Florida is.

We don't want to alarm the tourists and senior citizens now, do we?

Franz?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:19 am

Fletch wrote:That area is probably as anti-siren as the entire state of Florida is.

We don't want to alarm the tourists and senior citizens now, do we?
:twisted:
Flag on the post, 5 yard penalty for picking on Senile Citizens!

Hell the old farts might be the only ones smart enough to know what the siren was for based on FloriDum's election record.

Mr. Machine

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:06 am

For what it's worth, I recall several thunderbolts in various locations on the Norfolk Naval base while stationed there. Also I know of at least one in the Portsmouth area, in the shipyards. It's been at least 4 or 5 years since the last time I've been to the base, but I don't imagine they've gone anywhere. Never heard them, never heard about them. Two or three I recall, were way the hell up on building tops along the peersides.

I would imagine, if they are inactive, removing some of them from their locations would be a difficult and involved process... leaving them to rot on the roof would be the simpler solution.

JasonC said: Eww, Virginia Beach is a crappy place to vacation :wink:

Amen. VA Beach is like Ocean City's retarded little brother... of course, you could make the same comparison of O.C. to Myrtle Beach :)
Last edited by Mr. Machine on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Melvin Potts

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:06 am

I wonder if any of the injured have a right to file a lawsuit under Virginia laws, because their community did not have an outdoor warning siren system?
There was one fatality from the tornadoes/thunderstorms which hit Nashville in April of 1998.

It wasn't directly related to the tornadoes which plowed through the area.

However, a young man who was in Centennial Park during a severe thunderstorm failed to seek shelter. Part of a tree was blown down on him; he died later from the injuries.

At one time his mother was threatening to sue the city for not having a siren system. I don't think the matter ever went to court; maybe this lady realized she didn't have a chance and dropped it..or was just making a threat.

FedTB

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:49 pm

According to the newspaper this morning, it turns out that no one died from any of the now-reported 6 tornadoes (up from 3 originally) that struck Virginia on Monday.

BTW, when we went to Virginia Beach 3 years ago we stayed in a beach house on Sandbridge Beach. :D

500AT

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Here is the preliminary report from the National Weather Service in Wakefield, VA.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/wx_event ... _2008.html

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Rheems1

Thu May 01, 2008 3:54 am

A very interesting topic here... the last time I was in VA Beach I saw a number of sirens. Granted they were all on firehouses and were most likely used when VA Beach was still a volunteer department (unlike the behemoth it has turned into)... but there were there. I can remember 5 Fedalcode Model 5's on different firehouses.... they varied in shape from OK (Engine 29) to Poopy, Farty, Smelly (HQ Station). The Plaza Rescue Squad also had an Alertor that was still being used for Heavy Rescue call responses (10/12 Rotor) and I am glad to report... was extremely loud. As for the rest of the areas, I have seen 1 or 2 T-bolts at the Norfolk Naval Yard while crossing a bridge into Norfolk and I can think of a certain city that HAD a siren system that consisted of 7 Sentry 3V8 sirens... but there were taken down and sold at auction for $150 for the lot... probably not the best decision now... but I guess they knew what they were doing (name not given to protect them and more importantly me because I bought said sirens at auction and don't want them to get the bright idea they want to buy them back). Alot of the towns/cities around that area also have sirens.. the City of Hampton, VA has Model 5's at all of thier firehouses... the city of Chesapeake had 2 STH-10's and some Model 2's... the City of Williamsburg has an SD-10 hidden amongst some trees in town and used to have another SD-10 mounted at Bush Gardens before it became a big deal park (it was mounted on the wooden roller coaster as a matter of fact and yes somewhere in my overflowing collection I have a picture). It is a real shame and tragedy though that this happened and hopefully all of the injured people recover from thier injuries and such.

Rheems1

Thu May 01, 2008 3:55 am

On a seperate note.. after reading Mr. Gift's post about him being in China and his wife admonishing him to be careful if he is going to photograph the siren.... I would like to place Franz in charge of the research (and possibly the steering) committee in charge of getting Robert Gift some help. We will of course need to evaluate all of the centers available, the type of help they can provide, the type of help Mr. Gift needs, whether or not we can get away with putting Robert in a place that serves dog food and deciding how much internet time he should be alloted. While Franz is meeting with his group, we will need another group of people, lead by either myself, Jason C or Daniel (whom I have taken a real liking to) to come up with a plan to hook up his 2T22 at the facilty.... be it with a light switch activation point, an AR Controller or a combination blender/toaster activation system.... of course we will also need to find a way to run 3 phase from his sewage plant to whatever facility we put him in or convert the 2T22 to run on dual single phase motors or use a rotary phase convertor or all three... so we need a committee for this as well. The final committee will need to be chaired by Eric Green and have no less than 2 members but have no more than 3 members.. this is the Goofy s*** committee... thier sole function is to put into motion all of the fun (ie: goofy) things Mr. Gift wants to do with his siren.. be it putting a smoke bomb under the intakes to check for a vortex (we better not do this in VA), blocking off the lower intake and measuring motor rpm/heat, using it as a vegetable slicer, lowering it into the sewage pond and flinging poo and most importantly running it on 110v thru 440v to compare the sound output/resultant pitch that is produced as it tries to spin at 110 and flies away at 440. I guess we should also have a committee to retrieve the siren after it has flown away on 440.... either way.. we need to have meetings and delegations and sub-committees and power trips and pissing matches.... there is so little to do and so much time!!!!!!! I am sure that he will argue that he doesn't need help... but:

Does this look like a man who is capable of knowing what is best for himself?? :lol: :lol: J/K

All out of love Robert... all out of love

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”