Alasiren1977

Knoxville, TN sirens question

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:14 am

I am going to Knoxville, TN in a few weeks and was wondering if they had sirens, and if so what kind.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:05 am

They have quite a few old Thunderbolts around the Chattanooga area, all are unfortunately inoperative and decommissioned. Not sure whether they are single or dual tone. I've got photos of a few of them somewhere, and I believe there is also a thread here that mentions some of the locations with photos.

If you want to be able to see one up close and personal, you can go about 8 miles North on I-75 (from Chattanooga) you'll see a Thunderbolt on the left side of the interstate. It has a platform mounted blower - and judging by the number of wires on the electrical service line I believe it is a single phase siren. Can't miss it!

As far as Knoxville I am not aware of any sirens there. I've also been through there quite a few times and have found nothing.
Last edited by Charlie Davidson on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:34 am

We had a topic awhile back about one of the old Thunderbolts.

http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... hunderbolt
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Whelen Rules

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:37 am

Charlie Davidson wrote:They have quite a few old Thunderbolts around the Chattanooga area, all are unfortunately inoperative and decommissioned. Not sure whether they are single or dual tone. I've got photos of a few of them somewhere, and I believe there is also a thread here that mentions some of the locations with photos.

If you want to be able to see one up close and personal, you can go about 8 miles North on I-75 (from Chattanooga) you'll see a Thunderbolt on the left side of the interstate. It has a platform mounted blower - and judging by the number of wires on the electrical service line I believe it is a single phase siren. Can't miss it!

As far as Knoxville I am not aware of any sirens there. I've also been through there quite a few times and have found nothing.
I have seen many Thunderbolts in Chattanooga and I remember hearing them in the 90's when my aunt was going to UTC. They were used for flood and other severe weather sirens for a while because parts of downtown Chattanooga had and possibly still does have a tendency to flood during heavy rain as the river overflows, but I am sure they have been inactive for years.

I've only seen one Thunderbolt on the interstate in Knoxville one time at a power substation but that was 5 or more years ago. Not sure if it is still there and to be honest I can't quite remember exactly where it was.
Tyler Lund

cmoore

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Knoxville has a bumble bee colored CD Thunderbolt!!!!!
Naptown Sirens

Model2

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Charlie Davidson wrote:They have quite a few old Thunderbolts around the Chattanooga area, all are unfortunately inoperative and decommissioned. Not sure whether they are single or dual tone. I've got photos of a few of them somewhere, and I believe there is also a thread here that mentions some of the locations with photos.

Is that Tbolt painted gray?

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Model2 wrote:
Charlie Davidson wrote:If you want to be able to see one up close and personal, you can go about 8 miles North on I-75 (from Chattanooga) you'll see a Thunderbolt on the left side of the interstate. It has a platform mounted blower - and judging by the number of wires on the electrical service line I believe it is a single phase siren. Can't miss it!
Actually that particular one happens to be CD Yellow. There is also another one atop Belvoir Pharmacy that is CD Yellow with a reddish-rusted looking color on the horn. It's mounted pretty low, I'd say about 25-30 feet off of the ground or so.
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Model2

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Charlie Davidson wrote:
Model2 wrote:
Charlie Davidson wrote:If you want to be able to see one up close and personal, you can go about 8 miles North on I-75 (from Chattanooga) you'll see a Thunderbolt on the left side of the interstate. It has a platform mounted blower - and judging by the number of wires on the electrical service line I believe it is a single phase siren. Can't miss it!
Actually that particular one happens to be CD Yellow. There is also another one atop Belvoir Pharmacy that is CD Yellow with a reddish-rusted looking color on the horn. It's mounted pretty low, I'd say about 25-30 feet off of the ground or so.
I think I might know which one you're talking about. I remember it as gray, but it's been six years since I've been to Chattanooga.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: Knoxville, TN sirens question

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:35 am

I know this is an 8 year old thread, but with the help of JMAN and 4J25, we uncovered some sirens from Knoxville's system that actually still exist:

Thunderbolts:
6th & Washington (Bumblebolt)
West High School
Ludlow Ave. Substation
Buffat Mill Rd. near Prosser Rd.

Model 5s:
Giffin School
Maryville Pike near Henry Ave.

There may be more out there for all we know...
Last edited by Brendan W on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: Knoxville, TN sirens question

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:41 am

Here it is! Photo credit to Adam Pollack:
Attachments
JAILBAR!.jpg
JAILBAR!.jpg (83.29 KiB) Viewed 7691 times
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
24, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”