Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Kennesaw sirens?

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Well, I'm going to go on another siren hout soon, this time in kennesaw. Are there any sirens there?

The ones i know of:
Thunderbolt 1000 at KSU
Whelen ???? At the police training area
Vortex near the battlefield park
Vortex that replaced an SD-10.

Any others?
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

spotandtiggerbug

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 pm

The Police Annex has a Whelen 1000 http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/kennesaw_ga.jpg The picture is from 2001 though...

Melvin Potts

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:34 am

The Tbolt has been moved off the KSU campus. Somewhere I heard that the school has installed its own Modulators, but haven't had chance to check that out on my trips back to GA.

The Tbolt is located behind the Waffle House on Chastain Rd. That's just off the campus and near the intersection of Chastain and I-75.

I'm pretty sure the Vortex you mention replacing the SD-10 is at the fire station on Bells Ferry Rd. @ Westmoreland.

I've been told that there is a WPS-2910 in Adams Park(off Main St.), but haven't seen it yet.

There is also a Vortex at Kennesaw Elementary School on "Old Hwy. 41" just N of the downtown area.

The FS on Paul Samuel Rd.(off Stilesboro Rd.) still had its Tbolt in April of this year; I'll have to check it out during my trip later this month.

FS on Mars Hill Rd.(it and Paul Samuel are both W of US41-Cobb Parkway) now has a Vortex replacing a former Tbolt.

www.cobbfire.org....section on "Emergency Management"..then "Warning Systems" has a map of the siren locations. I believe the Paul Samuel FS is #24; know that the Bells Ferry one is #16; Mars Hiill is #18.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:02 am

Just to clear up any confusion from now on with what Cobb does and does not currently have, here is an interactive map I made of all the known sirens in the county, including those owned by the City of Smyrna (separate system from the county's), as well as the ASC iForce-1600s on KSU's campus, and the ones I was able to find on Dobbins AFB. The only county siren that I am unsure of its whereabouts and/or replacement location is #43, which used to be an SD-10 at Mars Hill Church, but it was removed sometime within the last year or so and I can't track down any replacement siren in the area (if there is one). I also haven't found all of Smyrna's new Whelen Vortexes, save for the ones that directly replaced all of their old sirens, but I am currently working on finding any more of them as we speak (the city provides no locations or maps of their system).

With that said and out of the way, here's the map.
-Ian M.

sirenita

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:14 am

There are a lot of sirens in Kennesaw. Nothing worth getting your panties in a wad over.
chicks like sirens, too.

Melvin Potts

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 am

Here are locations of the other Vortex sirens in Smyrna:

S. Cobb Dr. @ Windy Hill Rd.(replaced STH-10)
Pebblebrook Rd. near entrance to Vinings Estates Subdivision
Cooper Lake Rd. @ the East-West Connector
Cambpell Rd. @ RR tracks(off Spring Rd.).

The Cooper Lake & Campbell Rd. sirens were installed several years ago.
Pebblebrook Rd. one is a new siren; that location is actually closer to Mableton than Smyrna.

Hacksaw

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:22 pm

I remember a picture of a Thunderbeam in Kennesaw.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Hacksaw wrote:I remember a picture of a Thunderbeam in Kennesaw.
If it's the same one that's on the siren archive, it was located in front of the Town Center at Cobb shopping center and mall, at Barrett Parkway and Busbee Parkway NW. A WPS-2810 now stands in its place at that intersection. There was also another Thunderbeam across from the Cumberland Mall in Atlanta (Cobb County side), but it was also replaced with a WPS-2810.
Melvin Potts wrote:Here are locations of the other Vortex sirens in Smyrna:

S. Cobb Dr. @ Windy Hill Rd.(replaced STH-10)
Pebblebrook Rd. near entrance to Vinings Estates Subdivision
Cooper Lake Rd. @ the East-West Connector
Cambpell Rd. @ RR tracks(off Spring Rd.).

The Cooper Lake & Campbell Rd. sirens were installed several years ago.
Pebblebrook Rd. one is a new siren; that location is actually closer to Mableton than Smyrna.
Thank you so much for those locations! I attempted to search for them on Google last night, and actually managed to find one of the four "missing" sirens. I was kind of wondering if there was one in the vicinity of the Windy Hill STH-10, since where it stands would be kind of in a dead spot if there wasn't a new one.
-Ian M.

Melvin Potts

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:49 pm

I was kind of wondering if there was one in the vicinity of the Windy Hill STH-10, since where it stands would be kind of in a dead spot if there wasn't a new one.
I somewhat think that might still be a dead spot. Closest sirens I can recall would be the WPS 2810 across from Cumberland Mall..and that's a good distance down the road. Maybe the Vortex at Smyrna FS #3 carries into that area.

Hacksaw

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:57 am

They still have an SD-10 at the Fire Station in Acworth. I thought they would have replaced that one by now.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”