Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Q2b help

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:16 am

Ok so I recently acquired this Federal Q2b that apparently has been abused. As you can see the front grill is all smashed up and is missing its motor cover and stand. My question was why does it not wind up properly? I am certain it is the bearings and brushes but I can not seem to figure out how to remove the clutch from it to take it apart. How can I take it apart? I tried to unscrew the bolt with a few pliers but it wouldn't work. I also tried some PB blaster but that would not work either.

[video=youtube;DcrI5IhSxZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcrI5IhSxZ8[/video]

videogamer
Matt Ullman

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:08 am

Is it a 12V or 24V unit?
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:10 am

Charlie Davidson wrote:Is it a 12V or 24V unit?
It's a 12V unit.
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Henry455

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm

It appears you have the older screw clutch model. To remove the elastic stop nut, you will have to lock the armature by using bolts threaded into the base mounting holes. Thread the bolts into the motor until you contact the armature. Now tighten the bolts approx 1/8 turn, do not over do it. Try removing the nut. If the motor shaft turns, tighten the bolts a little more.

Here is the parts break down:
http://www.fedsig.com/docs/Q%20Siren%20 ... %20B&C.pdf

Before you do anything, your wiring appears to be on the small side. I would find a set of jumper cables with at least #6 wire to test the siren. Remember you are talking about 100+ amps to run the siren. also make sure you have a good ground on both the siren and the battery. I do not see how you have a good ground on the siren without a base attached.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Henry455 wrote:It appears you have the older screw clutch model. To remove the elastic stop nut, you will have to lock the armature by using bolts threaded into the base mounting holes. Thread the bolts into the motor until you contact the armature. Now tighten the bolts approx 1/8 turn, do not over do it. Try removing the nut. If the motor shaft turns, tighten the bolts a little more.

Here is the parts break down:
http://www.fedsig.com/docs/Q%20Siren%20 ... %20B&C.pdf

Before you do anything, your wiring appears to be on the small side. I would find a set of jumper cables with at least #6 wire to test the siren. Remember you are talking about 100+ amps to run the siren. also make sure you have a good ground on both the siren and the battery. I do not see how you have a good ground on the siren without a base attached.
Thanks for the reply! I am actually using this now to run it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFV62ofKXQ
It's a battery charger that can actually support it. As for the ground I found a bolt sticking out near the back that i suspect was for the break but am not sure. Non the less it holds well and is not connected to any part of the electrical system. I will try your idea. Thanks!
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Henry455

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Now that's more like it. Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the siren. What bearings do you feel need replacing, it all sounds good to me.

Skip Goulet

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Screw clutch parts are almost totally non-existing anymore. A friend of mine needed the arse'y for an old C4. I got one from Kevin O'Connell at B&M and it did the trick. According to Kevin, B&M sold the screw clutch to Federal many, many years ago when it went to the roller-type clutch it now uses. I don't know what clutch Federal now uses, but the Qs just don't roll like they used to. Any ideas of what they're using Henry?

Henry455

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Skip, it appears they are using a small one way bearing, roller clutch. Not near as robust as the B&M clutch roller assembly. My understanding is the the least little bit of foreign debris will cause these to drag. You can see it in this parts drawing, part #9.

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/PPL%200320.pdf

Skip Goulet

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks, Henry. Good to hear from you. This is, indeed, a different sort of clutch than I've seen from them before. When our small volunteer service in Lubbock was up and running years ago, we inherited an old ambulance that had a 77G on it. It had the old clutch (it may have been a screw clutch, as it had the big nut on front of the rotor) and it coasted quite well. However, if you ran the siren up and allowed it to start its coast, but needed it again, like at an intersection, when you pushed the button you could hear the motor turning but it didn't engage the rotor. We never could figure out what was wrong with it. What we did was to tighten that big nut down all the way, which prevented it from coasting at all, but we could at least run the siren up and down. It was like having a doubletoned 66G! BTW, spoke to Kevin for a short bit Friday night.

Henry455

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 pm

All of my Federal products have had the simple ball & ramp clutch. When acquired, some of the sirens were in pretty bad shape but the clutches were always in good shape. Always wondered why Federal when to the screw clutch.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”