Allenorgan42099

ACA Allertors in Loudoun County, Virginia

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 am

There are 3 Allertors left in Loudoun County, Virginia, on poles at a few of the fire departments. All of them were formerly in service in Washington, DC, as part of the old system there, before being taken down and used as fire sirens. The first is located at the Philomont Volunteer Fire Department, and is an active fire siren. The second as at the Lucketts Volunteer Fire Company. There is also a roof-mounted Model 7 in Lucketts. I suspect that the Model 7 is a fire siren and the Allertor is a tornado siren, or that one is in service and the other is not. The last is at the Arcola-Pleasant Valley Fire Department on Gum Springs Rd. There was once another Allertor in Middleburg at the Volunteer Fire Department, but it was modified 5 or 10 years ago and taken down a few years later. From what I hear, there were formerly Allertors in Lovettsville and Neersville as well.

slant-40

Re: ACA Allertors in Loudoun County, Virginia

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:01 am

Not sure if this is in Loudoun County, but I remember seeing one in Round Hill on old Rt 7 @ Main Street. Since been removed.
wayne

Modulator Master II

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:05 am

Here's Luckett's and it looks like it's power is cut. http://goo.gl/maps/yzrFe
Radio Receivers: BCD996P2(Pri) and BCD325P2(Sec.) I am 33 and still a Woody Woodpecker fan and Poke fan too.

Allenorgan42099

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:10 am

slant-40 wrote:Not sure if this is in Loudoun County, but I remember seeing one in Round Hill on old Rt 7 @ Main Street. Since been removed.
Yes, that is Loudoun County. How long ago did you see it? Was it roof-mounted or pole-mounted?

EOWS1212man
YouTube Username: BFDfire288

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I remember seeing the Lucketts siren. The firehouse had a Model 5 which the firefighter said the poor thing burnt out a few months ago and started smoking! He also said that the "yellow siren" (Allertor) was tested every of the month Saturday at 11:00 AM when it was still active.
Proud owner of a Model A, Model 2, Model 2T and Model 5

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Philomont's Allertor is active as a fire siren? Wow, that's some unexpected news. I guess I have another place to stop by the next time I go up there. (Although that doesn't mean I won't stop by the other sirens anyway. :wink:)
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Allenorgan42099

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:08 pm

EOWS1212man wrote:I remember seeing the Lucketts siren. The firehouse had a Model 5 which the firefighter said the poor thing burnt out a few months ago and started smoking! He also said that the "yellow siren" (Allertor) was tested every of the month Saturday at 11:00 AM when it was still active.
When did the Model 7 burn out? Is it going to be replaced? So, the Allertor's power is cut and it is no longer active?

Allenorgan42099

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:12 pm

VASirens wrote:Philomont's Allertor is active as a fire siren? Wow, that's some unexpected news. I guess I have another place to stop by the next time I go up there. (Although that doesn't mean I won't stop by the other sirens anyway. :wink:)
Yes, the Philomont Allertor has been a fire siren for as long as I remember. I used to play on the playground next door to it when I was little, and the siren used to scare me and make me cry when it went off. How come it surprised you that it is active as a fire siren? Like I said, before serving as a fire siren, it was in service in Washington DC, like the Allertors in Lucketts (no longer active), Arcola (I believe that one is still a fire siren as well), Middleburg (modified and later removed), Neersville (replaced with a Model 3), Round Hill (never knew there was one there, not sure what its fate was), and Lovettsville (replaced with a Model 5).

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Allenorgan42099 wrote:How come it surprised you that it is active as a fire siren?
I don't find fire sirens here nearly as often as I do in Maryland and Pennsylvania, and it's a treat to find an active one. Plus, seeing a 125 dBc dual-tone brute serving as a fire siren is pretty uncommon anyway...
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Allenorgan42099

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 pm

VASirens wrote:
Allenorgan42099 wrote:How come it surprised you that it is active as a fire siren?
I don't find fire sirens here nearly as often as I do in Maryland and Pennsylvania, and it's a treat to find an active one. Plus, seeing a 125 dBc dual-tone brute serving as a fire siren is pretty uncommon anyway...
Are you thinking of recording the siren when it sounds for a call?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”