weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Thunderbolt redo in my city

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:09 pm

The other day, I was headed back to work after grabbing some Dairy Queen, I noticed that the T-Bolt I passed had some changes done. It used to be a "double pole" mount, but has been changed to have a brand new concrete pad on the ground for the blower and the 2nd pole removed. Today after grabbing lunch, I decided to go for a bike ride. Riding to the siren for pics is something I meant to do, but I wasn't planning to do today, I realized I was just a few blocks away, so I rode down and got some pictures.

I didn't think to grab my good camera before going on this bike ride, but the iphone did a really good job!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46734552@ ... 098173567/

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Re: Thunderbolt redo in my city

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Looks great! Was the "second" pole and/or blower skid rotting and needing replacement?

The concrete pad-type installation seems more vulnerable to vandalism, as somebody could cut the conduit to the blower at night, but I suppose the risk of that happening is quite low.
Proud owner of a Thunderbolt 1003

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:01 am

I don't know who did the conversion, but they seemed to want the install to be solid. There was a "random" siren test a few weeks ago, I wonder if the work on this siren is what prompted said test.

Thankfully, the area doesn't really seem to be a "bad" area, while not on a main road, it is on a road traveled on a regular basis. Who knows, maybe a cage is in the future for the blower.

Brendan Ahern

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:08 am

Ive seen plenty of pad mounted blowers. The odds of vandalism are very low.

Hacksaw

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:50 am

I would be more concerned about a vehicle hitting that blower box.

siren fan

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:55 am

The City of Dallas had pad mounted blower boxes on all of their T-bolts when they were still in use. They also used a single stand pipe with the blower pipe inside for a very clean install.

Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:26 am

That would be pretty dangerous if someone just did all kinds of bad to that blower. Cut the conduit? graffiti? I don't know, but they should at least put up a fence. And that redo seems odd because there is HUGE separation between the wooden pole and the thin steel pole supporting the siren. I'm very puzzled by that.
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

Unit of Civil Defense

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:13 am

With as many points that the installer used to tie in the stand pipe to the wooden pole I wouldn't think there would be much issue if any at all....I have seen that same type of installation on wooden power poles where there is multiple services (cable t.v , electric power, phone) run as a conduit to below ground feed lines.

That blower housing box on the ground would not last that long around here before some scrapper came along and tried to boost it for scrap....or a degenerate gang member tags it. :x
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Thun-1003guy

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:14 am

Our city has 5 Thunderbolts and they all used to be double pole mounted, two of them were relocated and they used the typical single pole mount with a fenced in blower. I'm not sure why they remounted them a different way but the double pole mount seems a lot better and sturdier. Kind of surprised how the power pole is used as the other supporting pole on this one
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”