dilloncarpenter

Re: News story on copper stolen from siren

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 am

I think Joe Goddard told me not too long ago that they had some copper pests come through their yard recently. All they got was wire in the conduits though. They've taken more security measures since then.

Also I find it funny how everyone is all of a sudden flipping out that the town of Luther is in oh so much danger. They have two active sirens that generously over saturate the tiny town of 1400 people. And again these have been sitting for at least two years. I'm not watering down the severity of this, but easy preventative measures could and should have been made. Nowadays I don't expect much less from anyone, city official or not, especially if the opportunity is out in the open on a main road in the community.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:31 am

dilloncarpenter wrote:I think Joe Goddard told me not too long ago that they had some copper pests come through their yard recently. All they got was wire in the conduits though. They've taken more security measures since then.

Also I find it funny how everyone is all of a sudden flipping out that the town of Luther is in oh so much danger. They have two active sirens that generously over saturate the tiny town of 1400 people. And again these have been sitting for at least two years. I'm not watering down the severity of this, but easy preventative measures could and should have been made. Nowadays I don't expect much less from anyone, city official or not, especially if the opportunity is out in the open on a main road in the community.

This was my thinking pretty much the entire time I was reading the story. Kind of out-dated sirens lying around, your town is like 2 seconds across, and you literally just dumped them behind a building with no fence. And you're mad that someone went and picked through what was essentially your garbage heap. I am not saying this type of behavior is acceptable, but they could have made it slightly less enticing. Action=Opportunity+Desire. You take away or make one of those elements difficult, peoples' ill intentions tend to fall apart.
-The Princess

dilloncarpenter

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:53 am

Travis you put the exact words in the right place for that. And you'll never take away desire from people so might as well capitalize on what *can* be taken.

These sirens aren't even close to a building, just in an open field by a main road.

Link to save Zelda. Jk that's a Google maps link. See all the wiring just laying out of the conduit as well? :think:

Travis

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 am

dilloncarpenter wrote:Travis you put the exact words in the right place for that. And you'll never take away desire from people so might as well capitalize on what *can* be taken.

These sirens aren't even close to a building, just in an open field by a main road.

Link to save Zelda. Jk that's a Google maps link. See all the wiring just laying out of the conduit as well? :think:
That's adorable. Yeah just lay those PLASTIC Banshees on their sides while mounted to the pole. That's super good for them. Builds character. Also its how they bend, snap, and become somewhat disfigured cowboy hats.

EDIT: Upon further scrolling I see they at least haphazardly placed the Banshee poles on some definitely-not-goint-to-fall-off cinder blocks.

On a more serious note, I found the P-15 in Luther...and think I found a 5V...does this sound right? or do they have a different siren actually installed somewhere else?
-The Princess

dilloncarpenter

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Like a sentry 5V? I don't know of a 5V but they have their 5T on top of the fire/police/everything department building. The P-15 is by the high school.

http://goo.gl/maps/rBqsr

Travis

Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:46 am

dilloncarpenter wrote:Like a sentry 5V? I don't know of a 5V but they have their 5T on top of the fire/police/everything department building. The P-15 is by the high school.

http://goo.gl/maps/rBqsr
Maybe it's just a vent, but it looked to me like one. The west side of the school (roof) on the south part of town. I'm mobile right now or I would have provided the link.
-The Princess

Ziginox

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:07 am

It's quite weird seeing Banshees in gray with an ASC logo on them.

connerdstines

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:27 am

They were re-branded as OM-117 i believe.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

djscrizzle

Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:53 am

If you're serious about killing copper theft on outdoor installs on any kind, you'll install either Aluminum (stepped up one size) or copper-weld, a thinly copper plated steel wire. A thief will steal some, try to sell it, and either get busted... Or quit attempting to steal it and move on to something more profitable, because they can't make any money. Or sometimes both.

In fact, power companies use Copper-weld for ground wires, and when railroads still had their signal lines on open wire line. Between this, enhanced ID laws when selling scrap, and stepped up LEO patrols in soft places, is how they virtually stopped metal thefts cold.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

Westgate Thunderbolt

Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Am I missing something here? He paid three guys each $40.00 to get wiring off of those sirens. That equals $120.00. He takes said wiring to a scrap yard and gets $40.00. $120.00 for payment of "employees" minus the $40.00 he received puts him $80.00 in the red. And this guy was the ex-Mayor of a town? Maybe that is why he had to resort to stealing copper in the first place. He personally was broke from such bad business sense.
Owner of a Federal Electric Model 2, Federal Sign and Signal SD-10, Federal Sign and Signal 1000(T) and a H.O.R. Si-Rex 7:10 Omnidirectional

Return to “Videos and Media”