Trevor
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Why do you guys hate 2001's so much?!?

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Back in the day Thunderbolts were a hugely popular siren (as you all know) and they were pretty much everywhere, as 2001s are today. I don't think anyone would complain about Thunderbolts being everywhere.
Trevor
AirRaidSirens.com Moderator
[email protected]

JMAN
YouTube Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Discord: @JMAN.WiS&S#2001

Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:31 am

Since my city has 21 2001's (that # sounds right) of various models, I love them and think they can really sound creepy during a late night severe thunderstorm. I remember when I first discovered the online community of "siren enthusiasts" back around 2008ish, I remember a lot more hate of the "2001 virhs". We've since warmed up to them. Just like how everybody hated Whelen and said Whelen suck. I know a lot of people like Whelen now.
Owner of a Federal Signal 2001-DC & B9

YouTube: https://youtube.com/c/JMANWiSS
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/99160587@N07/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jman.wissotas ... als/?hl=en
Discord: JMAN.WiS&S#2001

siren fan

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 am

Ehh they're ok sounding sirens that definately do their job. I think the problem people have with them is yes they are everywhere so they seem bland, as well as they have replaced some really cool sounding and some would say iconic air raid sirens from the past. Kinda like having old man syndrome lol.

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:14 am

Cheap and works, 'nough said. I personally dislike them because of their pitch, but then again everyone down here runs alert, so they peak out on the high side. In my experience lower pitched sirens like the Vortex, 28/2910, or 16V1T-B eat them from a far in terms of loudness except when the 2001s run in attack or happen to peak lower. I also dislike when they replace something that is legitimately louder or runs lower pitched like a P-15 or larger Sentry siren. I would go as far as to say that even with the 2001-130 being an "applicable" replacement for a Thunderbolt, a 1000 running in the 500 Hz range probably would outrun the 130 even with the 3 dB difference; the Equinox comes close to a 130 on paper with a 4-5 dB difference and about a 100-400 feet difference in range.

You could also take it from the Sentry or St. Louis County, MO perspective and side with omnis because of the rotators. While there is no omnidirectional siren out there that could match a P-50 or T-132, 16Vs and 28/2910s can be heard a mile away easy. When our city replaced Thunderbolt AT1000s and, while I greatly disapprove of it due to the money wasted, 2nd gen. 2001-SRNs they were able to obtain the same coverage in areas where the sirens they installed were WPS-2810s. Similarly Stewart County, GA ended up replacing their Vortexes with 16V1T-Bs and were able to get the same coverage. While I have nothing against rotating sirens and in some cases prefer them over omnis I can see the advantages of the omnidirectional sirens' ability to keep consistent 360 degree coverage of up to a mile, especially when it comes to Whelen's voice capable sirens... I mean by the time a 4004 or 3016 finishes talking the tornado probably took your house and the siren array right with it. :roll:

I get on them because of pitch. Companies want to make them put out an effective tone, but to most people the higher pitch may work better. I think that people outside this community will probably recognize the sound of a 2001, or any other 12 port or similar sounding electronic siren, faster. It seems that most media like to use the sound of a 2001 or STH-10 in their content when describing anything siren related. I think that our own WTVM used my recording of one of Phenix City's sirens with the picture of an Allertor at one point in a report when our EMA set the sirens off without any warning in affect... also the same day they started posting the parameters of what a Thunderstorm warning is on their site. lol "Is the city crying wolf?" *meanwhile 75 MPH winds take down trees and throw branches into houses* People can easily distinguish it from the environment, although some of the sirens that peak well over 800 Hz may end up making people confuse it for a fire truck siren. Of course if your from this area then the sound of a 435 or 560 Hz Whelen is what you'd think of, but there are so many 2001s, Model 5s, STH-10s, etc. out there that it seems like the sound of a 12 port siren is almost the norm.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Apillow

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:31 am

I think the reason people don't like them too much is because in many towns they have replaced practically every siren. I know there used to be at least 4 thunderbolt-1000(3?) where I lived and all of them have been replaced. One was replaced by a vortex, but that one is in a city with only vortexes.

The 2001 is a great siren. It certainly gets the job done. I used to live a half mile away from one and my dog would always howl with it when it went off.
Profile picture was done by a player on the robocraft forums. Josh555 edited it to 140 by 140 pixels. Thanks!

r4tbolts

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:49 pm

They do the job and are reliable. Never cared for the high pitch but all and all the 2001 is fine by me. I love T-bolts, grew up with them but time has passed them by.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:33 am

If you really think about it the 2001 series is one of the best sirens series ever produced. Its effective, reliable, and (now) require little to no maintenance to function despite the DC models that needed batteries every 5-7 years because that's all they ran off of. The 2001 is so popular because its literally based off the Thunderbolt which I might add was a very stable, bone-chilling, reliable siren, The 2001 is no different except for the 130 because of its "infamous" pitch quivers. I live a half a mile away from a 2001-SRN*B and a mile away from a 130. The SRN*B from my house sounds at about 85% of volume where as the 130 sounds about 50-60% depending on wind, so 2001s aren't bad sirens at all. And now that we have made this topic I think people are starting to see the positives about 2001 sirens.

Now here's why kiddies hate them so much:

"RR MAH GURD U REPLACE THURNDERBRLT U BASTUD!"

"child to english translation"
OH MY GOD YOU REPLACED THE THUNDERBOLT! YOU BAS****!

lol sorry had to do it.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

coastalsyrolover

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:03 am

Oh boy... Well agreeing with the moderator above I don't think people would complain about the thunderbolts unless they didn't like the noise of the single tone ones or the chills of the dual tone ones... IMO Thunderbolts are just a better siren. But hey the 2001 has it's awesomeness qualities as well! (Like being the thunderbolts sister siren for one thing...)
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Apillow

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:10 am

I think I really like the 2001s honestly. I just realized that april 1st of this year was the first time I ever heard a 2001. They are extremely good, and honestly, are probably one of the best.
Profile picture was done by a player on the robocraft forums. Josh555 edited it to 140 by 140 pixels. Thanks!

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:45 am

Thunderbolt10031 wrote:If you really think about it the 2001 series is one of the best sirens series ever produced. Its effective, reliable, and (now) require little to no maintenance to function despite the DC models that needed batteries every 5-7 years because that's all they ran off of. The 2001 is so popular because its literally based off the Thunderbolt which I might add was a very stable, bone-chilling, reliable siren, The 2001 is no different except for the 130 because of its "infamous" pitch quivers. I live a half a mile away from a 2001-SRN*B and a mile away from a 130. The SRN*B from my house sounds at about 85% of volume where as the 130 sounds about 50-60% depending on wind, so 2001s aren't bad sirens at all. And now that we have made this topic I think people are starting to see the positives about 2001 sirens.

Now here's why kiddies hate them so much:

"RR MAH GURD U REPLACE THURNDERBRLT U BASTUD!"

"child to english translation"
OH MY GOD YOU REPLACED THE THUNDERBOLT! YOU BAS****!

lol sorry had to do it.

Thunderbolt10031 I totally agree with you on that one. I Have seen so many comments on some siren videos with kids saying, "2001s SUCK! THUNDERBOLTS RULEEE!!!!". Im sick and tired of seeing these kind of comments. A good example of this is a person named Cheetawolf. Heres a video that he made. Just look at the video and the comments. https://youtu.be/7tDL0_uqPcY
Last edited by SoundMaster 391 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”