Wdr

Re: Siren suicide!

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Here's the setup I used on mine, the wire was to keep the puller from tipping sideways.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 3265 times

orestis

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Maybe this aluminium is too soft, I tried with thicker thread eye bolts that were really tight when inserted. The bolt came off at once breaking the thread after a while. I don't know if it is worth to cut new threads to try with larger bolts...
Attachments
puller11.jpg
puller11.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 3262 times

Wdr

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Darn! Have you heated it and put some sort of penetrating oil? I heated, sprayed, heated more, then more oil, then tightened the puller and let it sit overnight. It came off after tapping and more heat.

orestis

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Wdr wrote:Darn! Have you heated it and put some sort of penetrating oil? I heated, sprayed, heated more, then more oil, then tightened the puller and let it sit overnight. It came off after tapping and more heat.

It is flooded with penetrating oil. Unfortunately I don't have a torch. The eye bolts are now tightened and secured with small wooden pieces and I have repeated the procedure. At maximum tension the bolts seem to be okay, but the rotor stays always in place. :roll: I don't think I can apply more force.

I have extracted many rotors in the past with a puller and I wouldn't say it was a difficult task. I'm thinking that the shaft distortion has somehow clamped the rotor.

EDIT: the bolts came off again, I have to find another way to pull it out.

Wdr

Re: Siren suicide! (NEVA55 restoration)

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:06 pm

If you could support the back side of the rotor maybe place a rod on the shaft and hammer it out? And I just used a propane torch, not an oxy acetylene.

orestis

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Wdr wrote:If you could support the back side of the rotor maybe place a rod on the shaft and hammer it out? And I just used a propane torch, not an oxy acetylene.
Do you mean support the rotor and let the motor hang below when the shaft is hammered? That could work I suppose... Anyway I'm considering to visit a machine shop to do it for me (I know, this is a small defeat!), and also replace the bent shaft, if possible.

Wdr

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:00 am

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm thinking its not quite defeat and makes sense to have the shop do it since you need a new shaft anyway. I do recall reading that when having shaft work done on a motor make sure the shop knows motors because the shaft can only be pressed out one direction which is hard to tell.

orestis

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Wdr wrote:Yes, that's what I meant. I'm thinking its not quite defeat and makes sense to have the shop do it since you need a new shaft anyway. I do recall reading that when having shaft work done on a motor make sure the shop knows motors because the shaft can only be pressed out one direction which is hard to tell.
Thanks for the advice! They told me there's another way to fix it, without replacing the whole shaft, by cutting the bent piece and implement a new one somehow. And then of course we have bearings and balancing, maybe I should go to a motor shop as well, we shall see.

Wdr

Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00 pm

I was looking into welding, sleeving, or extending a motor shaft for something(don't recall what).. I believe the general consensus in my research was that it was a bad idea and would be liable to break off.. But I could be remembering wrong, just another thing to consider.

orestis

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:01 pm

The machine shop has finally pulled out the rotor. It was badly stuck because of the shaft distortion and had to be pressed. The guy told me he applied over 8 ton force to extract it! No wonder why it wouldn't move with the puller! Next step is the shaft replacement.
Attachments
IMAG0407ii.jpg
IMAG0407ii.jpg (32.24 KiB) Viewed 2999 times
IMAG0405ii.jpg
IMAG0405ii.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 2999 times

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”