Spencerlovestrains
YouTube Username: Spencer Harman

Re: Fantasy Siren Map Challenges!

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:22 am

Any new challenges?
In my opinion, I think there way too many 2001's in Indiana!

Check out my siren recordings! https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Proud owner of a Fedelcode Model 2.

djscrizzle

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:20 am

I'd like to suggest my hometown of Colorado Springs/El Paso County, Colorado...

Primary Justification: 5 military installations surround the city proper, average terrain goes from rolling prairie to the east, to rugged canyons and foothills to the west. County population was just over 625,000 in 2013. Terrain may justify special placement of warning system equipment and radio repeaters.

Predominant hazards: Flash flooding in stream channels in western parts of the area, draining from the Waldo Canyon Burn Scar. Tornadoes are possible to the east of downtown COS, with most since 1950 being reported east of Powers Blvd in the city.

All military installations are of High Strategic Importance to the United States federal government. They consist of 3 command & control installations, a large Army base adjacent to one C&C installation, and one service academy.

Other design criterium: The City of Colorado Springs once had 11 FS550-AT, a few Thunderbolts, model 5s, and Mobil-Directos installed as early as 1959. They were removed in 1990. All military bases have Whelen WS/WPS series Omnidirectional siren systems with excellent coverage.
Calhan, Ramah, and Manitou Spgs all have adequate siren systems installed at this writing.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 am

FANTASY SIREN MAP CHALLENGES IS BACK!
BUT
It needs you guys! I need as many of you as possible to participate! You can't win if you don't participate, and if no one participates, it will fall dormant again, and I don't want that to happen!

For anyone who is seeing this for the first time, or anyone who just wants a refresher on how this works, please visit the first page of this topic. And if/when you do, please please please read it all. If you read the directions through once, you will have a better understanding of how this works, and when this event occurs. I will be posting a link back to the first page in each challenge post. I have also slightly updated the way map grading works.

Let's make this work again!

(And in case you were wondering, I have the area picked already! :))
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:05 am

Finally! I've been waiting! Haha. When is the first challenge going to start?
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

4J25

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 am

Synther wrote:Finally! I've been waiting! Haha. When is the first challenge going to start?
4j25 wrote:please visit the first page of this topic. And if/when you do, please please please read it all. If you read the directions through once, you will have a better understanding of how this works, and when this event occurs.
;)

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 am

4J25 wrote:
Synther wrote:Finally! I've been waiting! Haha. When is the first challenge going to start?
4j25 wrote:please visit the first page of this topic. And if/when you do, please please please read it all. If you read the directions through once, you will have a better understanding of how this works, and when this event occurs.
;)
Whoops! Didn't think before I posted. :shy:

4J25

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:50 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we are back! Since we are (yet again) restarting, this will be
Challenge #1

Briefing: The location for this FSMC is Dare County, NC. For the boundaries of Dare County, look it up on Google Maps satellite view. Dare County doesn't have many large cities. It's county seat is Manteo, and it's largest city is Kill Devil Hills with a population of 6,920 (As of 2013). During tourist season, the populations in the entire county climb. Dare County is extremely prone to tropical storms, including hurricanes. It is also prone to tornadoes, including an EF-3 that hit Kill Devil Hills, killing 1 person. Your job: Make a cost effective and efficient warning system that can warn the populous of an incoming (or occurring) disaster. This system NEEDS to be voice capable. That does, however, mean that they can be older sirens with newer voice capable controllers (ie. EOWS-115 w/ UltraVoice etc.). Make sure that the siren coverage reaches most of the county, especially on the Outer Banks (The long island strips). That's really about it!

ENDING TIME: Friday, February 12, at 5:00 EST

Click here to go to the original post that includes rules and helpful instructions.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:00 pm

They have an airport as well. And also, is there an easier way to adding the borders to counties? If I mess up on one line, I have to redo the entire border...

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Ooh, goody, you picked a county that isn't too far from me! I'll see what I can come up with...
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Here is my submission.

The county had a few sirens installed at random times before the modulators. The county received a grant from the state in 2006 to install a large siren system from Federal Signal. The system mainly consists of DSAs and Modulators. The system consists of 94 active sirens.

Signal Protocol:
Alert - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Attack - Tornado Warning
Alternate Wail - Tropical Storm/Hurricane Warning
Pulsed Wail - Flood Warning
Chimes - Test

(Credit to 4J25 for the custom icons!
Last edited by Synther on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Siren Maps”