CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Now THIS is the condition to find the chopper motor of the 1003 head you finally own...

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:02 am

This is the chopper motor from the 1003 Thunderbolt that was in my garage for the last 7 years until last December. The city of Sherman took the siren back (very long story) and ended up putting it up for auction. I just couldn't let it go so I bid on it and won the auction. I believe this siren is a early/mid 1970s vintage.
I never took it apart (other than rotator box covers and solenoid covers) because it technically wasn't my siren. It was "officially" on loan to me for my web site from the city of Sherman Tx. but I knew it was probably in good condition inside judging from the condition of the inside of the solenoid housing. It always ran perfectly whenever I hooked it up.
I took it apart today and was happy to see that it is in even better condition than I thought it would be. The grease down in the chopper tube is still wet and not even dried out.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Re: Now THIS is the condition to find the chopper motor of the 1003 head you finally own...

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Glad you got it back. That entire situation turned into a huge cluster.

T1000 Charlie

Re: Now THIS is the condition to find the chopper motor of the 1003 head you finally own...

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:43 pm

I hope my 1003 is that good when I get it off the top of the court house. I need to hurry the crane guy up, because the county official that gave it to me just got beat last night. Why is getting a siren so hard?
There is no such thing as a Thunderbolt that is not worth saving.

CDV777-1

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:54 am

I hope my 1003 is that good when I get it off the top of the court house.
As long as it's still in place that's 1000 times better than sitting on the ground.
When sirens are still in place they are in their most weather resistant orientation.
When they sit on the ground they deteriorate pretty quickly.
Thunderbolts are rarely stored correctly after they are removed. They are usually thrown into city
storage lots where the choppers and blowers fill up with water.

T1000 Charlie

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 am

It's broken in two at the pipe joint. The horn is lying on its side with the chopper and pipe angled downhill at about 15 degrees. The blower is also lying down on the side. The control boxes are like new though.
There is no such thing as a Thunderbolt that is not worth saving.

Joshua_2002

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:52 am

now that you officially own it now are you planning to have it refurbished?

CDV777-1

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 am

now that you officially own it now are you planning to have it refurbished?
It really doesn't need it. I don't "have" anything done. I always have to do it. If it gets any repaint it will be done
if it ever goes back into service or goes somewhere for display.

Thun-1003guy

Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:54 am

So why did the city of Sherman take it back?

Joshua_2002

Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Are you going to post another video of your Sherman 1003 on your YouTube channel soon?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”