SuperBanshee

N/AAA

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:16 am

N/A Old Info.
Last edited by SuperBanshee on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Re: Dual Tone Sirens.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:23 am

Wow this is some very amazing and interesting information. So the more arms there are, the more air it will pull in? Also was the SD-10 not that loud because it only had 3 arms in the chopper?
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

r4tbolts

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:26 am

Excellent reading. Nice post.

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:42 am

Everytime an unread post shows up, I check who is the author in anticipation of seeing the words "SuperBanshee" written in purple. Your siren history/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about threads are pure awesomeness.
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

coastalsyrolover

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 pm

That explains a lot. Great post as always!!!
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

SuperBanshee

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:42 pm

SoundMaster 391 wrote:Wow this is some very amazing and interesting information. So the more arms there are, the more air it will pull in? Also was the SD-10 not that loud because it only had 3 arms in the chopper?
That's correct - the SD-10 and Models 5T and 7T were not very loud as they only use 3 arms to draw in air. I live near an SD-10 and while it works nicely in the valleys, it's not loud enough to cover much of the city. It is located on top of a hill so most of its sound is projected downward. They were always meant as "filler" sirens: filling in for parts of a city where other sirens might not be heard. My city did just this, installing a mass of SD-10s to fill in new areas that were developed since they bought their original siren (a Mobil Directo). All worked well until one SD-10 decided to blow its top, then the city went around replacing everything with new 2001-130s. The rest is history.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 pm

SuperBanshee wrote:
SoundMaster 391 wrote:Wow this is some very amazing and interesting information. So the more arms there are, the more air it will pull in? Also was the SD-10 not that loud because it only had 3 arms in the chopper?
That's correct - the SD-10 and Models 5T and 7T were not very loud as they only use 3 arms to draw in air. I live near an SD-10 and while it works nicely in the valleys, it's not loud enough to cover much of the city. It is located on top of a hill so most of its sound is projected downward. They were always meant as "filler" sirens: filling in for parts of a city where other
sirens might not be heard. My city did just this, installing a mass of SD-10s to fill in new areas that were developed since they bought their original siren (a Mobil Directo). All worked well until one SD-10 decided to blow its top, then the city went around replacing everything with new 2001-130s. The rest is history.
Ah ok. Hawaii has some SD-10 sirens. Most of them were located either at places where they needed some coverage or in valleys.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

CycloneFan125
YouTube Username: Sirens & Elevators

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:08 am

SuperBanshee wrote:
That's correct - the SD-10 and Models 5T and 7T were not very loud as they only use 3 arms to draw in air. I live near an SD-10 and while it works nicely in the valleys, it's not loud enough to cover much of the city. It is located on top of a hill so most of its sound is projected downward. They were always meant as "filler" sirens: filling in for parts of a city where other sirens might not be heard. My city did just this, installing a mass of SD-10s to fill in new areas that were developed since they bought their original siren (a Mobil Directo). All worked well until one SD-10 decided to blow its top, then the city went around replacing everything with new 2001-130s. The rest is history.
This may be a little off topic but I'm just wondering since the system you described sounds like Beaver Dam, WI, which one SD-10 still exists. If you're talking about Beaver Dam how many 2001-130's are in Beaver Dam? And the three current SD-10's in Madison are on hills too (maybe not the one on Beld but the other two in Madison are) so they produce the sound further than expected.

SuperBanshee

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:30 am

I currently live in Beaver Dam, WI. The one SD-10 is located near an old chapel and clock tower near Curie Street. The SD-10 is very easy to hear through the hills, I was surprised it hadn't been replaced yet.

There are at least four 2001-130s in Beaver Dam: City Hall, Park Avenue, Lakeview Park, and another one on the north end of town by a McDonald's. They all replaced SD-10s or the Mobil Directo. When/if the last SD-10 gets replaced, a 2001-130 will probably go up in its place.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”