Truckie6119

Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:12 pm

The recording of all of Farmingdales FD sirens and Diaphone are real. We use them everyday. I mantain the hole system. :D

quiksmith10

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:52 am

My mistake there, I got East Farmingdale mixed up with Farmingdale. They are two seperate towns in two seperate counties, go figure. However, I do believe that that recording is a hoax. There is no way that all of those sirens are that clear when all sounding together. The recording is definitely a compilation of all the recordings. Also, I seem to remember there being a video of one of their noon tests. I don't recall hearing all the sirens. I only heard the diaphone and the screamer. With that said, the diaphone only went off after the screamer wound down. Plus, the chance for all of these sirens to end abruptly at the same time hardly has a chance. There is no way they can all start and end at the same time. The timing of cycles of the different sirens is different in itself.
Last edited by quiksmith10 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Smith

AlarmRepair

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:16 am

QuickSmith you are wrong. Farmingdale's district is 1 square mile big with 1 station. You can hear all the sirens and the diaphone at the same time from any point in town unless you are right under 1 of them. All of the pictures on the LIFA site are real. I have seen most of them up close. I have worked on many of the systems.

Blasty

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:38 am

On the contrary, not all of the pictures are real. There is one I'm aware of that is a picture of two identical sirens placed next to each other, mounted on a platform between two poles. It was clearly a copy-and-paste job in photoshop, and a close inspection of the pixels on each siren confirmed this.

While manipulating photos is fun and interesting, LIFA makes no attempt to inform the viewer of altered material, instead just throwing it in the mix as if it were authentic. I haven't combed the whole site for frauds, but I would not be surprised if more showed up.

The owner has already showed us at least one fraudulent photo, one blatantly stolen recording, and had submitted a doctored sound clip (cheating) to the siren recording contest in 2004. This guy's credibility has deteriorated significantly in my eyes.
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

AlarmRepair

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:10 pm

Does anyone really care? If you guys are so fanatically worried about what pictures and recordings might or might not be real then I would suggest acquiring another hobby or something. Don't knock yourselves out over this....

Blasty

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:10 am

I wouldn't care so much if his activities didn't involve theft and cheating.

Without those incidents, his doctored photo wouldn't seem so bad.
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

quiksmith10

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:21 am

AlarmRepair wrote:Does anyone really care? If you guys are so fanatically worried about what pictures and recordings might or might not be real then I would suggest acquiring another hobby or something. Don't knock yourselves out over this....
Well, you have obviously taken a point in trying to defend that they aren't. So the question is, do you really care? If you don't, then I would suggest revising your post quoted above to not contradict yourself. Who are you to decide whether or not we are able to partake in a discussion such as this? If you have that much of a problem with it, why don't you just leave the board.

I for one am not up all night worrying about the issue, biting all of my nails down to nothing. I was just conducting standard procedure on a board by replying to a post that I had something to contribute to. Obviously, there are enough people on this board and in this community that care about the quality of the hobby and do not want to see it go bad due to acts such as the ones Rob conducted. If this was not the case, we wouldn't have gotten into this whole discussion. The thing was that he wouldn't come forth and say he did anything, he just left the community without giving an appology.

I also replied to this topic on a more personal note because he had used some images that I scanned of documents on his site without my permission. When I contacted him about it, he was "beating around the bush," so-to-speak, on the matter. After that, I decided he shouldn't really have my document if he was going to have that attitude. Finally, after numerous attempts to get through to him, he removed my images.

Instances such as those are why people care and respond to this topic.
Brandon Smith

AlarmRepair

Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:39 am

LIFA is an orginization run by many people/fireman as is the website.. Stop blaiming Rob for everything.

quiksmith10

Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:07 am

I am in no way discrediting the LIFA organization or the people that run it. The only person I am discrediting is Rob for his actions against the siren board and me. It wasn't the organization that conducted these actions but Rob himself. I am very curious though, why do you say "stop blaming Rob for everything"? By the way it is worded, is there something else we should know about?
Brandon Smith

PhRed

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:17 pm

I'd like to comment on a thing or two here with kid gloves, since I really don't want a dog in this fight.

It's not for me to accuse or suggest right or wrong with respect to whether the person discussed here has acted in any fradulent way towards others on this board.
My inclination is to offer benefit of the doubt to the aggrieved party and simply shake my head in puzzlement as to why this had to happen at all.

My point is that *independently of the alleged actions of the LIFA member in question (innocent till proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt IMHO)*, the site is well-done and virtually all of the clips (IMO) seem above board.

*Virtually*, mind you...

The first sound clip from Williston Park, Nassau County (18:00 test) is in fact a direct snatch off another's website, as some of you may be/are aware of. Why this hasn't been retracted is worth looking in to more strenuously than it it has been up till now. JMHO.

Aside from that, all the other clips sound kosher to me.

PS: I do believe that the Suffolk pic with the "twin model 5's" has been restored to its proper form.

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.
This is just a hometown *perspective* without it turning into *hometown apologist's defense*, which is like offering the following logic:

"I'm from LI; Rob's from LI; therefore Rob's doing right by everyone involved."

I'm surely not suggesting *that*. And I hope that's the impression I leave behind with this post.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”