dilloncarpenter

Re: Salina, Kansas replacing their Thunderbolts

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:08 pm

I looked through the document for info about the old sirens. We will probably have to wait until the bid has been accepted to find out what exactly is going to happen with them. If Blue Valley gets it, kiss every single one of them goodbye.
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:40 am

I stumbled upon this video a week or so ago, which may help clear up some questions and confusion on Salina's plans for their upcoming new siren system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnA-WkC22Os
-Ian M.

anepstad
YouTube Username: Aaron Nepstad

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:14 pm

dilloncarpenter wrote:I looked through the document for info about the old sirens. We will probably have to wait until the bid has been accepted to find out what exactly is going to happen with them. If Blue Valley gets it, kiss every single one of them goodbye.
They are getting 2001-130s and the city said they are recycling the old sirens like what st.paul mn did (aka) Scrap them. its to bad the city didnt think of donating the old ones to communities in kansas that need a siren.
Owner of a Federal Signal STH-10, 2 Federal Signal Model A's, 5 Federal Signal Model D's, Federal Signal RX, Federal Signal Model L, Streling F2, ASC T-121, Federal 3T22A and Federal Signal 3T22B

Joshua_2002

Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:36 pm

anepstad wrote:
dilloncarpenter wrote:I looked through the document for info about the old sirens. We will probably have to wait until the bid has been accepted to find out what exactly is going to happen with them. If Blue Valley gets it, kiss every single one of them goodbye.
They are getting 2001-130s and the city said they are recycling the old sirens like what st.paul mn did (aka) Scrap them. its to bad the city didnt think of donating the old ones to communities in kansas that need a siren.
I'll talk to their emergency management for you guys on that subject.

MKIIProductions
YouTube Username: MKIIProductions
Discord: ncognito#6466

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:12 am

Joshua_2002 wrote:
anepstad wrote:
I'll talk to their emergency management for you guys on that subject.
While I do agree that some unincorporated towns or smaller cities here in Kansas could use one of these units, I don't think it'll happen. I tried to get my hands on one of the units that came out of the system here in Wichita, and I was quickly shut down. However, I still poke at the thought of buying a siren off of Ryan Dean to restore and maybe tinker with, and then donate to a smaller town.
The unofficial ARS resident white noise since 2010
http://www.youtube.com/MKIIProductions
Jacob Green - 25, Wichita, Kansas
You can buy any radio you want, just don't buy a Baofeng and call it a scanner.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT MALICIOUS ACTIVATIONS

dilloncarpenter

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:52 am

There's a town near me that could really use them. Bridge Creek is a hot spot for tornado activity kinda like Moore,

Joshua_2002

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:16 pm

I just got off the phone with Salina emergency management, but I was unfortunate to collect much information. But yea just like dillon said blue valley is going to decide what will happen to them. So where just going to have to talk to them, I just hope their friendly enough to entrust them to private individuals.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:38 pm

I wouldn't bug them that much, they've had issues with people bombing them in the past wanting sirens, and they don't really want to deal with it. It's worth a try, but don't pester them. Most of the old ones they use for parts on other sirens or they are put back up in other communities as a more cost-effective option to a new siren.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

dilloncarpenter

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:18 am

I thought BV scrapped everything old. *cough*Denver.

MKIIProductions
YouTube Username: MKIIProductions
Discord: ncognito#6466

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Stormsetter4 wrote:I wouldn't bug them that much, they've had issues with people bombing them in the past wanting sirens, and they don't really want to deal with it. It's worth a try, but don't pester them. Most of the old ones they use for parts on other sirens or they are put back up in other communities as a more cost-effective option to a new siren.
I second this. EM directors and city offices don't really like dealing with it. Not to mention, if you want a unit to restore, you are better off looking online for surplus auctions - and especially on eBay. You might have to make a longer drive, but it will be worth a trip. I'm planning on finding something omni-directional and single phase due to space limitations, but if a deal comes around I might be headed to pick something up.
The unofficial ARS resident white noise since 2010
http://www.youtube.com/MKIIProductions
Jacob Green - 25, Wichita, Kansas
You can buy any radio you want, just don't buy a Baofeng and call it a scanner.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT MALICIOUS ACTIVATIONS

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”