Robert Gift

Re: "Duck Day" firetruck sirens

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:DUCK DAY!!!!!!
...everyone jumps up on the firetruck and tries to tip it over (actually we just rock it but it's still fun). I know this is unsafe, and that we were probably destroying millions of dollars worth of equipment.
Why would you participate in that? I'd have fun but try to stop anything from being damaged!
StonedChipmunk wrote:kept his lead foot on the Q pedal the entire time! I still can't hear out of my right ear (and my left ear is ringing badly) and this was about 2 hours ago. Along with the electronic 2x100 watt sirens, is this dangerous? (Please be aware that there were two more firetrucks next to each other - all sounding Q's and electronics full blast.)
Munk, you're scaring me.
I hope your hearing is OK.
I would have held my ears or gotten wet tissue in them whether I looked like an idiot or not.
Do you now have some permanent high frequency hearing loss?
Yes, firemen should not have done that, but you didn't have to get that close. You should have protected yourself.

Even in the best fun and craziness, you (we) must take care and not let things get away and let something happen which has life-long unfortunate consequences - like cause a baby, jump into water and become quadriplegic, lose an eye, lose teeth, etc. I've seen it all.
One of my quadriplegic patients cannot even kill himself!
Please have great fun and enjoyment without being too reckless and letting stuff like that happen.

StonedChipmunk

Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:25 am

I'm fine now. The whole ordeal lasted around 20 seconds tops (with me being dangerously close). Then, I was behind the trucks (so I didn't hear that much).

How can one not kill themselves? Weird...
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Robert Gift

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:13 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:How can one not kill themselves? Weird...
He is paralyzed from the neck down. He cannot use his arms or hands. He is completely dependent upon others. He wants to die, but cannot do anything about it.
He should improve his health as much as possible and hope for medical breakthroughs which could improve his paralysis.

StonedChipmunk

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:27 pm

That is one of those situations where anyone would want to die. Sorry, Robert, but I don't think that complete paralysis is something that will be fixed before he really dies unintentionally. One of those no-hope situations.

Yes, I do believe in miracles, but frankly, it doesn't seem even possible for a miracle to fix that. Only something you see in the movies. (And it won't happen overnight... he will have to work on it. And he would probably rather die than do that.)

Robert Gift

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:33 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote: That is one of those situations where anyone would want to die. Sorry, Robert, but I don't think that complete paralysis is something that will be fixed before he really dies unintentionally. One of those no-hope situations.
Yes, I do believe in miracles, but frankly, it doesn't seem even possible for a miracle to fix that.
If you believe in miracles, then it IS possible. Why would a miracle have a limitation?
I don't believe in miracles. But I am an optimist and envision man's wonderful intellect discovering ways to repair and restore nerves.
StonedChipmunk wrote:Only something you see in the movies. (And it won't happen overnight... he will have to work on it. And he would probably rather die than do that.)
I'd rather work on it than die.
At least I'd give it a good go.

StonedChipmunk

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:31 pm

Well, I believe in them because I've seen them happen (and believe me, it scared the s**t out of me...) but I seriously doubt he's gonna wake up one morning and be completely normal. That's way too over-the-line. You only see that type of thing in medical TV shows... but hey, I'm a pessimist, so what do I know?

Back on topic, plz. I don't want to have to call forum security because of a hijacked thread.

SirenEnthusiast360

Thu May 03, 2007 6:04 am

Ok, I have to ask, why is your roomate pink in that pic?
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”