Trashbeam
YouTube Username: Sirens of NE Ohio

New York Statewide Siren Map

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 pm

So here is my 95% complete NY Siren Map. All I really need to finish is Indian NPP. Other than that, I believe I have it all down! Feel free to give any locations that I missed. Anyways, here it is!

View New York Statewide Siren Map Here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 999999&z=7

WPS4004Man

Re: New York Statewide Siren Map

Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:08 pm

What's wrong with the T-112 in Brooklyn? It looks like pipes are coming from it and directing sound towards the sky? Great map btw! Oh, and those dual-headed HPSS-16Rs are also pretty weird. New York, you have some strange sirens!
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm

WPS4004Man wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:08 pm
What's wrong with the T-112 in Brooklyn? It looks like pipes are coming from it and directing sound towards the sky? Great map btw! Oh, and those dual-headed HPSS-16Rs are also pretty weird. New York, you have some strange sirens!
Street view of the T-112 for anyone curious:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6943742 ... 384!8i8192

It's on top of a mosque and I'm guessing they bought it thinking it wouldn't be too loud, but it ended up being too loud anyways and so they added the pipes to make it quieter. If you go back to the November 2016 streetview (when I'm guessing construction was completed) you can see it didn't have the pipes added yet.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

flatlandsparky

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 pm

It's like a dead spider! What's with that deal on the water tower under the tank in the same pic? but very never seen anything like that.

Batman
YouTube Username: BatmansSirenChannel

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:03 am

Wow dude, nice job! This is the most complete map of NY I've ever seen. But I just remembered, I was supposed to give you some locations that you missed, wasn't I? My bad. I'll do that now. Having lived in NY for most of my life, I know where quite a few hidden gems are. Feel free to use the two maps in my signature for sirens in Ulster and Broome counties. You actually got most of them, but I noticed a few that were absent. As for other sirens that aren't in those counties:

GCS Model 5 @ Clermont FD

Abandoned Federal Model B @ Letchworth Village power plant

Federal Model 7 @ Mountainville FD

Federal Model 2 @ Port Jervis FD Co. #6

Federal STH-10 @ Port Jervis train station

Sterling Little Giant @ Woodbourne FD

Federal 3T22 @ Loch Sheldrake FD (you actually have this one, but it's listed as a mystery siren)

Federal STH-10 @ Arkville FD

Whelen WPS-2803 @ Andes FD

Federal xT22 @ Delhi FD/PD (in the tower; horns are removed, but if you look closely you can see them stacked nearby)

Federal STH-10 @ Lanesville FD

Federal Model 2 @ West Kill FD

Darley Model 2 @ Maplecrest FD/town hall (again, you have this one but it's listed as a mystery siren)

Abandoned Fedelcode Model 5/7 @ old Catskill cement plant

Sterling 2V8 @ Brisben FD (another one marked as a mystery siren)

Three sirens in one place! I know you have the Model 7 and the T-128, but the Thunderbolt 1003 is still there. Not sure if you wanted to include it or not, since I assume they're eventually taking it down in favor of the T-128. I noticed you did include another old T-bolt in the Nine Mile nuclear system though. Not sure if all the locations still have the T-bolts or not. Fun fact though: I actually got to tour that nuclear plant when I was a student. It was super cool. We got to walk right next to the steam turbines and even the pit for the spent fuel rods. Crazy amount of security too; we had to go through a whole bunch of checkpoints and there were guards with assault rifles everywhere. Somewhat off-topic, but looking at those sirens reminded me of that time. We passed right by those three sirens on the way there.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of right now. There were a couple other locations, including a Sentry F-2 which is pretty unique 'cause those aren't often used as outdoor sirens, but unfortunately I can only remember the general area, not the exact location. But if I do remember, or if I think of some other ones, I'll be sure to let you know. I gotta say, I do miss living up there. NY is a goldmine for old and weird sirens, and there's quite a lot of diversity too.
Proud owner of a spontaneously-purchased 1940 Federal Electric Type A
Ulster County NY Map | Broome County NY Map | Union County NC Map

WPS4004Man

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 am

Wait, so why did a mosque buy a siren anyway?
Sentry rules, ATI's are for fools.

Living in Central Ohio, the Whelen capital of the country.

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 pm

Very nice! The mystery siren in Danby is an STL-10. You can see it in street view now (and I've seen it in person).
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

ACAAllertorManiac
YouTube Username: AllertorSiren05

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:44 pm

Sorry if I’m bumping, but I know of more locations I could add to here.

My email is [email protected]

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:13 am

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like this map is being updated anymore, but just in case, here are a few more things I've found that should be updated:

- Again, the "mystery siren" in Danby is an STL-10.
- I can confirm that there is indeed a siren at Ithaca College, because I've heard their tests (voice and hi/lo, distinctly different from Cornell's Whelens which do whoop tone). I just don't know the exact location or make/model.
- Dryden has a Sentry 20V2T and a Model 5/7 at the police station. https://goo.gl/maps/sDb495ZfqMaZGL8SA
- Owego Model 5/7. https://goo.gl/maps/rWVMkgeHijrYEWcS7
- Nanuet's STH-10 was moved to the new fire station. https://goo.gl/maps/wBvYE5xpNF2pFKKk9
- Hillburn xT22. https://goo.gl/maps/pjLNcopErzx2PkWt6
- Tuxedo Eclipse 8. https://goo.gl/maps/9Tux6Xr7ghNeKfGC7
- Monroe (Lakeside) mystery siren. https://goo.gl/maps/aEsvYeEKu7jHQ3WU9
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Batman
YouTube Username: BatmansSirenChannel

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:42 pm

I actually used to date a girl who went to Ithaca College. Never noticed any sirens, but it's possible that they just have a PA system. Broome County Community College does that; they have four big speakers, one on each corner of the library building. I did see the Whelens at Cornell though. They are actually 2740s, not 2904s like the map says.
Proud owner of a spontaneously-purchased 1940 Federal Electric Type A
Ulster County NY Map | Broome County NY Map | Union County NC Map

Return to “Siren Maps”