FedTB

Adopt-A-Siren program

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:06 am

Just wondering if any other city, county, etc., has this program.

For over five years I've been a member of our city's police department's Adopt-A-Siren program. Our county's siren system is tested once a month on the first Monday of the month at 9 AM. The test involves the unincorporated county EMA sirens, as well as the individual city's sirens. Those of us in the program receive an e-mail from our police department's EMA officer after the test, asking if our assigned siren functioned or malfunctioned, and we reply back with the results of the test.

The way this program started was that our city placed an article online and in the paper looking for individuals who live close to the sirens who would be interested in participating in the Adopt-A-Siren program being instituted in the next few months. Instead of placing a police officer at each siren during the test to see if the individual sirens functioned or not, they were looking for citizens to participate instead. I jumped at the chance, since we live about half-a-mile from the Whelen WPS-2806 down the road. They accepted my request and I've been doing it ever since.

In fact, today was the monthly test and my assigned siren functioned as it's supposed to.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Adopt-A-Siren program

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Hamilton County, Ohio has one. But do to my work situation, I am unable to take part of this, and I have no idea how many volunteers there are. To my understanding, no members of this forum have taken part of this.

https://www.hamiltoncountyohioema.org/s ... h-program/
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”