JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Why did they convert to electronic bells? I notice the same thing at grade crossings. It seems like a simple mechanical bell would be cheaper and more simple.

Robert Gift

Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:21 pm

The electronic bells have no contact points which wear out.
The real bell's points pit from the 10 VDC arcs and the bell's performance slowly declines.
So, sadly, electronic last longer and are more reliable.

Locomotive bells are cast bronze. Very expensive to make.

red04stanggt

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Robert Gift wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:The new ... SD70Ace's they have a little lever but they are electronic also. All the new bells on the newer locomotives are electronic with a speaker down by the front steps
That is unfortunate. Does not allow varying horn volume output.
Electronic bells? Yuck.
But with a speaker bell, at least it can be aimed straight ahead.
Or does it face downwards to accomadate both directions?
Would be nice it the horns could be aimed in the direction the locomotive was heading instead of three forward and two backwards.
The old engines you can barely pull the lever and you can pretty much control how loud it gets. The new ones no. Like if we have a guy go inbetween the train he will give a hand signal for that and I will aknowledge it by tapping the horn some guys just push it some just tap the button and you can avoid it being extremely loud. The loudest horns I think are the ones on the EMD SD70MAC's you will find them on BNSF coal trains. You can usually hear them 5 miles away if not farther on a calm day and they are just rediculous. Ive had to cutout a horn once on a trailing locomotive and the air line to the horn is literally like 3-4" in diameter. Whats weird is inside the locomotive you can hardly hear the whistles theres just so much steel bewteen you and it, they have really good insulation and I dont know to much about safety windows but theres like 2-3 windows all in one

red04stanggt

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Heres a video of me running a train coming into Emporia,KS. You can see me sometimes barely tap the horn button to sound the whistle. It will kinda give you a idea what goes on up in the cab when you see a train going by. The whistle sounds loud in the video but its really not. The conductor had his window opend a little. This video is HUGE like 70MB and im not very good at sizing videos down so be patient

http://media.putfile.com/Emporia-Sub-2-0001

Gents'

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:57 pm

I really enjoyed that video. Thanks!

Also got to see a great video of an Osprey through that link... nice!

Robert Gift

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm

Gents' wrote:I really enjoyed that video. Thanks!

Also got to see a great video of an Osprey through that link... nice!
Leave it to a Limey to enjoy an Osprey video.
What's a Osprey.
What's the latest on your siren, Gent?

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”