q2bman

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:56 am

well sir, I'll trade you!

I'd rather have the new Q that speeds up fast and coasts forever. This one speeds up slow and coasts for a short time.

I managed to use PB blaster penetrateing oil and got the nut off. I had to cut off the nut on the model 78. I took both of them apart and tried to use the new style clutch that someone put on the old 78. The rotor and bearings from the old Q don't match up. I couldn't use the newer clutch. I'm putting the Q back together and just tighting the thing down so the clutch is bypassed. Beter than nothing. :(
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:44 pm

q2bman wrote:

I'd rather have the new Q that speeds up fast and coasts forever. This one speeds up slow and coasts for a short time.

Replace the bearings, and that should help a lot.

q2bman

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:13 am

I got the bearings replaced and it spins nicely with the clutch assembly removed. It will spin for about 1 min when spun by hand! BUT, when you add the old style clutch, it rubs the rotor and slows it down. When you tighen the thing down to allow it to spin up when powered, it coasts for a very short period. Now, it is doing the same thing. The old clutch is worn out and when you power the siren it slips on the rotor. It's so bad that it takes longer to wind up than to wind down. The old clutch is worthless. I'm going to tighten the shaft nut all the way so that the clutch can't spin when the siren is powered up. That way, at least the rotor will reach full rpm and pitch.

q2bman

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Found the problem. For anyone elese who has q problems, i found that the siren was actually spinning the wrong direction! You can change the motor direction by unscrewing the rear end of the older Q motors and turning the cap. Use care when moving the cap and observe the brush wires. One is attatched to the motor for ground. Once you turn the cap and screw it back down the motor reverses direction! My Q spins up nicely now. ! Great coast down now that I lubed everything!

Robert Gift

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:16 pm

Fantastic Q!
Who would have ever thought the motor was reverse connected?
Probably why they got rid of the siren!
Good of you to have caught that.

If I ever aquired a mechanic siren, I intended to reverse the direction to hear the difference.

q2bman

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 am

Didn't sound anydifferent with the clutch tight. If it's a clutch siren and you don't have the clutch tightened down full, it just slipps and won't spin up.

q2bman

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:14 am

Robert, I can keep my name! I just got a Federal Model Q2B ! Brand new buddy! AND MAN are theese new ones easier to work on. There is a "stud" sticking out of the back of the motor that is accessable all the time. You just vice grip it and wrench the other end of the shaft. EASY AS PIE. Why can't people just design the first model to be that easy. The clutch on the new ones is the third such centrifugal clutch design i have seen. The old old Q had a rubber pad against a clutch pad that squeezed together by the cintrifugal force of the motor shaft and a metal end cap. This design was horrible because the clutch pad just rubbed the metal rotor. The second one was a thick brass disc that was pressed onto a clutch pad that was affixed to the rotor. The brass disc was forced to the pad when the shaft started to spin by a "worm" type system that went onto the shaft. Nice! The new one is odd. It's a brass disc that is allen bolted loosely to the rotor and then somehow the shaft grabs that and spins up the rotor. I havn't figured it out yet. Effective though!

Robert Gift

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm jealous.
Amazing how they come up with a design and go into production with it BEFORE refining it. But I can't blame them or wanting to avoid the extra cost of a brass disk.
Congratulations!
Are you selling the old Q,Q?

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”