DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Another Columbus, GA Whelen Upgraded

Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:44 am

I posted this online earlier in the week. I've been noticing that within the last several months, I could hear a siren somewhere off in the distance from our home that has the distinctive "hard" wind-up of a typical Whelen siren compared to the soft ramp-up feature that our system is unique for. I could tell that it was at least 2.5 miles away based on how long it took for it to activate compared to the nearest sirens from me, and I was able to pin down its location by checking the map for sirens in the direction in which it was heard. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to correctly predict which unit it was considering its distance from the house, but I was even more surprised when it wound up in wail tone with the "stumbling" wind-up of an ESC-2020 board instead of an ESC-2030. I assume that whoever our vendor is upgraded this unit after the old board kicked rocks with a board they had in storage, and much like the couple of sirens in the county on ESC-2030 boards, they left the soft ramp-up option disabled on the siren since it's technically not a requirement for our system, at least anymore. This makes five sirens in the county now with normal windups and seven that run a 560 Hz alert tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJWQW4nwJfs
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Return to “Videos and Media”