Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Mez H1/B2 in the UK

Thu May 02, 2024 10:45 am

'Allo 'allo,

Recently I have purchased a Mez H1/B2 that was imported from Czechia to the UK, and I'm going to try and get it up and running properly!

https://youtu.be/oeemoB-iabM
Owner of the first confirmed Mez H1/B2 in the UK :D

Eclipse DDS

Re: Mez H1/B2 in the UK

Mon May 06, 2024 3:04 pm

So... there was a bit of an accident that happened yesterday when we were poking around the Mez...

Here is the video covering the topic: https://youtu.be/A8DyS0l40OU

Also attached are a couple higher-quality photos of the damage caused.
Nothing that a bit of welding can't fix
-Our Neighbour
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 122 times
IMG_20240505_155832.jpg
IMG_20240505_155832.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 122 times
Just thought I'd throw in a higher-quality image of the wire terminals too, if anyone could give any guidance regarding whether they're correct that would be very much appreciated!
IMG_20240505_142555.jpg
IMG_20240505_142555.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 122 times

TheVintageLouisiana
YouTube Username: Sirens Of Southern Louisiana
Discord: louisianasirens

Mon May 06, 2024 3:19 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
So... there was a bit of an accident that happened yesterday when we were poking around the Mez...

-Our Neighbour

thumbnail.jpeg

IMG_20240505_155832.jpg

Just thought I'd throw in a higher-quality image of the wire terminals too, if anyone could give any guidance regarding whether they're correct that would be very much appreciated!

IMG_20240505_142555.jpg
Amazing! I wouldn't worry about that crack as long as it doesn't affect the function of the siren, it's fine. i'd recommend either removing the stator or rotor (depending on which one comes off first), and trying to wiggle the shaft of the motor left and right gradually until it becomes loose. Be careful not to damage any of the components. Getting that rust off of the stator and rotor is a pretty big factor for when it comes to running, so it doesn't scrape the stator. Remember to check and oil the bearings. If it's a brushed motor, I recommend checking the brushes. Other than that, good job! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

EDIT: Didn't see the welding part. It is CRUCIAL to remove the motor during that so you don't accidentally weld the rotor and the stator together.
louisiana :arrow:

Eclipse DDS

Mon May 06, 2024 3:49 pm

TheVintageLouisiana wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:

-Our Neighbour

thumbnail.jpeg

IMG_20240505_155832.jpg

IMG_20240505_142555.jpg
Amazing! I wouldn't worry about that crack as long as it doesn't affect the function of the siren, it's fine. i'd recommend either removing the stator or rotor (depending on which one comes off first), and trying to wiggle the shaft of the motor left and right gradually until it becomes loose. Be careful not to damage any of the components. Getting that rust off of the stator and rotor is a pretty big factor for when it comes to running, so it doesn't scrape the stator. Remember to check and oil the bearings. If it's a brushed motor, I recommend checking the brushes. Other than that, good job! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

EDIT: Didn't see the welding part. It is CRUCIAL to remove the motor during that so you don't accidentally weld the rotor and the stator together.
Ah, I see, thanks for the information! An interesting thing about this siren that I keep forgetting to mention is that the stator and motor surround is all a single-cast part, so to be able to get at the motor we'd have to remove the rotor anyway, which is the next thing we'll be doing. Repairing or replacing the bearings is going to be the next step, as that is what is causing the siren to have a rumbling sound as the rotor spins. I'll post again once we get that rotor off and see the motor itself :D

TheVintageLouisiana
YouTube Username: Sirens Of Southern Louisiana
Discord: louisianasirens

Mon May 06, 2024 6:16 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:49 pm
TheVintageLouisiana wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:

-Our Neighbour

thumbnail.jpeg

IMG_20240505_155832.jpg

IMG_20240505_142555.jpg

Ah, I see, thanks for the information! An interesting thing about this siren that I keep forgetting to mention is that the stator and motor surround is all a single-cast part, so to be able to get at the motor we'd have to remove the rotor anyway, which is the next thing we'll be doing. Repairing or replacing the bearings is going to be the next step, as that is what is causing the siren to have a rumbling sound as the rotor spins. I'll post again once we get that rotor off and see the motor itself :D
Woops! Made a mistake :lol: I meant to say remove the rotor while welding. Looking forward to it! Hope all goes well! :D
louisiana :arrow:

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”