ThatGuy2020

Missing a test (AUUUGH)

Mon May 06, 2024 3:38 pm

So I was sick last Wednesday. The TEST was last Wednesday.

I missed the Minnesota test on the one day of the year I could have gone (besides the summer).
Apparently I wouldn’t have gone anyways because I was sick, but still :(

Tell me your experiences of missing tests or getting stuff wrong
Attachments
IMG_3696.jpeg
6 minutes after the test. Top: Reecom R-1650. Bottom: Midland WR-400. Left (barley in view): Uniden Bearcat BC365CRS
IMG_3696.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 174 times
ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
I’m just a furry with some weird interests.
I own 2 sirens. 16+ radios. 5 Cassette players. 4 CD players. 5/16 Wings of Fire books

clarksburg_1000t

Re: Missing a test (AUUUGH)

Mon May 06, 2024 6:31 pm

There's a model 5 in Stony Point NY. I had no idea that it tested so I was at a nearby church. I was setting up to record the bells at noon on new years there when out of nowhere I heard the siren wind up. It only ran for 5 seconds and I didn't press record in time. Still got a good recording of the bells but I missed the siren.
Proud owner of a Lion King LK-100 hand crank siren. Am I the only one who thinks that sparta remixes sound better at 1.1x speed?
Greetings from Morgantown West Virginia, home of the longest and oldest PRT system in the world!

traintraveler
YouTube Username: Train Traveler

Re: Missing a test (AUUUGH)

Thu May 09, 2024 10:51 pm

I've had one run in with missing a test that I can remember-

White County, Georgia, sometime in summer during 2023. I decided to hit up the 2001-130 at the Cleveland Woodmen of the World City Park, as it had a good recording angle and if it failed, I would hear a sick ambiance. Arrive there at around 10:50 AM, and wait. And wait, and wait. Finally decided to call the EMA and see what they were up to. Ask the lady on the phone if the sirens are going off today, and she says, and I quote, "Oh sorry, they don't go off until next week." I tell her thank you and goodbye. Next week, thunderstorms. No test. Decided to hit up the county next month, right? So I arrive there on the 2nd Wednesday of that month whilst planning to meet with another enthusiast (Alyx Taylor). Just before I reached Cleveland city limits, Alyx texts me that the EMA has confirmed that they go off on the first Wednesday of the month, completely contrary to what they told me the month prior.

Boy, was I MAD.

Not only had I just wasted a good portion of my time driving there, I now had to go back home completely empty handed. "Damnit!" I thought. I proceeded to go throughout that entire summer without one good in-the-wild siren test.

Now proceed to the future, March 2024, first Wednesday of the month. My cousin is eating at a restaurant in the resort town of Helen, about thirty minutes north of Cleveland. She proceeds to call me at noon, yelling, "The sirens are going off in Helen!" I promptly told her to get a recording, and she did. After 8~ months of struggle, I finally had an answer as to when the heck this place tested.

I'm getting a recording next month. Praying the sirens don't fail.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”