FedTB

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Vortexofmisery, more than most likely they are waiting on parts for the existing siren and not a new siren. A replacement siren from Whelen would take a couple of months to be delivered. From what I've been told, Whelen doesn't stock sirens. They build them when they recieve orders for them. I don't know how true this is, just what I've been told.

Again, though, where is this "downed" 3016 siren located??? From the aerial shot, it sort've looks like the one along Clarkson Road in Clarkson Valley.

FedTB

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Uncommonsense, it does seem like the 3016's are failing somewhat rapidly. These were installed in the summer of 1982, along with several 2000's. They have been getting replaced, along with a couple of 2000's and 3 of the Federal Siratrols (Brentwood, Florissant and Creve Coeur). To date, at least ones that I have seen, there have been 6 Whelen 2908's installed in St. Louis County. They are located at:

Brentwood City Hall
Lemay Ferry Rd. in front of Mehlville High School
On Yeager Rd. near Brookstone View Dr. (Oakville)
Natural Bridge Rd. and I-170
Lindbergh Blvd. & I-55
I-64 & Chesterfield Parkway

If you happen to read this post and know of 2908 installations that I haven't listed, please list them. I'd appreciate it!

vortexofmisery

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:33 pm

I drove by the siren yesterday, it's still sitting there. I'm wondering what parts they can order for an old Whelen 3016. The siren is located at the intersection of Telegraph Rd. (Rte 231) and Christopher Rd. in Oakville.

FedTB

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Vortexofmisery, I grew up in Oakville, about a mile or so north of Christopher Drive. I know the siren you're referring to. I guess that intersection looks different from the air, plus it's not a larger picture so I can't see other landmarks.

That siren was installed in June 1982, after the placement of the one on Telegraph Road in front of the library, which was struck by a car and damaged a few years back and replaced by a 4003 and moved a "few" feet north onto Crestline Drive. A year or so ago, a friend of mine told me that the 3016 on Becker Road (I think at or near Bry Lynn Drive?) was no longer rotating. Do you know if it was repaired, or replaced by a 4003 or a 2908?

FedTB

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I found another new Whelen WPS-2908, this one at Spirit of St. Louis Airport in Chesterfield. The siren is located on Edison Avenue. So that makes 7 of these 2908's that I know of.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:32 pm

The old siren at the airport had a large hole in the horn from where a piece of debris went through it during a tornado a few years back, but it was still working last I knew. I went to the 2900 in Brentwood a few mins ago to record it going off (not sure if they would cause of Labor Day), but the county did not test their sirens. I could faintly hear the city's sirens with tone and voice right along Brentwood Blvd though.

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:22 pm

mmmmhm. 8)
-The Princess

FedTB

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Adam, thanks for the info about the 3016 at Spirit. I never knew that about the horn having a hole in it. That's pretty good that it still worked!

Yes, I heard the St. Louis sirens going off at 11 today while our crew was out collecting for MDA. I could hear very well and clear the voice recording, announcing that this was only a test. Or how it really sounds: "This....is...on-ly....a...test." :D

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”