walt305
New User

Federal Model 5

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:32 pm

I am new here , first post too . I belong to a Volunteer fire company and our siren was taken down off our roof about 4 years ago and we're looking into what's involved in hooking it back up, and maybe using a pole mount for it. I am not sure if the siren is a Federal model 5 or model 7, it's about 47 years old,and looks like a model 5 but sounds just like the videos of a model 7 I heard. When it was hooked up it was very very loud.

Daniel

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:17 pm

Welcome, Walt. Is there a nameplate on the motor under the housing? How many ports does it have? At that age, it may have a coding damper over the intake. Is it three phase or single? We're looking forward to your possible photos and videos.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

500AT

Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:51 am

Most of the older Federal Model 3, 5 and 7 sirens have grease cups, especially on the three-phase motors. Make sure you use a proper lubricant to grease the siren's bearings. Likewise, it might not be a bad idea to have the motor inspected and rebuilt, which is good idea considering the age of the siren.

Do you know the voltage and phase of the motor? Does the department still have the motor starter and timer for the siren?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

walt305
New User

Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:03 pm

When it was removed from the roof the power was cut and they cut right the conduit and power line,so everything else is still there.I wanted to put up a few pics ,but can figure out how to post them here.

Robert Gift

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:51 pm

Welcome, Walt.
What a nice member number you have.

Can you see how many wires are in the siren's terminal box?
That can indicate whether single phase or three phase.
Also, can you tell if there is three phase into the fire station?
Congratulations on getting your siren back into operation.

Justin

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:16 am

walt305 wrote:I wanted to put up a few pics ,but can figure out how to post them here.
Easy. Grab a free Photobucket account, upload your photos there. When you've done that Photobucket will display several text boxes, one with the "[img]" tags slapped onto one of the image links. Click that text box once (the word Copied will flourish) then simply paste them directly into the text box that you use to reply to our posts.

Welcome. :D

walt305
New User

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:07 am

I'm pretty sure the siren runs on 240 Volts single phase. It's not mounted that low on the ground ,the stand used to mounted on the roof of the engine bay.

walt305
New User

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:09 am

Justin wrote:
walt305 wrote:I wanted to put up a few pics ,but can figure out how to post them here.
Easy. Grab a free Photobucket account, upload your photos there. When you've done that Photobucket will display several text boxes, one with the "[img]" tags slapped onto one of the image links. Click that text box once (the word Copied will flourish) then simply paste them directly into the text box that you use to reply to our posts.

Welcome. :D
Thanks for helping me get thoose pics posted up.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”