Brendan Ahern

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:04 am

The only thing about the silent testing is it doesnt exercise the actual siren motor. It checks AC and DC power, RF communication, and rotates the siren head roughly a half turn. I have been present when theyve done these tests and the siren makes no noise. Its usually done at 7AM. I am not sure how the modulators are set up though. Im sure the drivers and amplifiers get silently exercised, but I dont know for sure.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:30 am

the Fire Department here in H.E. claims that an outfit does Silent Testing 6 days a week (I assume that exludes Sunday). I don't know how thats possible on Allertors and RM-130s.

Robert Gift

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 am

Gil wrote:the Fire Department here in H.E. claims that an outfit does Silent Testing 6 days a week (I assume that exludes Sunday). I don't know how thats possible on Allertors and RM-130s.
Could they mean growl tests, or just barely spin motors?

FS T-Bolt

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:49 am

sometimes cities may not test their sirens for a little while after severe weather. the city of Moore, OK didnt sound their sirens for about a year after the tornado of May 3, 1999. perhaps that is the same situation here...

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 am

Robert Gift wrote:
Gil wrote:the Fire Department here in H.E. claims that an outfit does Silent Testing 6 days a week (I assume that exludes Sunday). I don't know how thats possible on Allertors and RM-130s.
Could they mean growl tests, or just barely spin motors?
No, they do that every monday. They do completely silent tests 6 days a week.

Brendan Ahern

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Those silent tests just check things like batteries, AC input and RF strength. They can indicate a possible problem when used in conjunction with regular full siren tests. Its no substitute for firing them up though.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”