jerrylovessirens

Advantages of certain rotational speeds??

Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:38 pm

Well, We all know that the chopper speed affects siren performance and decibel output(lower carrying farther), but does how fast one revolves matter?? :? :)

You see many rotating sirens, like The t-bolt, going at all three different speeds, 2 4 and a very-fast 8, but does it matter at all?

is it for show?--- Fast creating a hectic and chaotic wail---- Or Slow, making for a glowering stare of sound.

Or is there a tecnical aspect too it?

Why would a modern siren like the T-128 bother with speed control and the electronics that go with it, if rotational speed did not matter? :o

Jerry

Justin

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:50 am

Rotational speed is all up to the EM's fantasies. There isn't really a technical aspect to it apart from making attack and fast wail more or less distinguishable. Stopping on wind-down however, helps this cause a little more but the faster the rotational speed, the more likely the signal can become washed out with ambient noise at a distance.

Shinkansen

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:15 am

Well it DOES make a difference in the overall sound, yes it does. Take a look at the Leslie Rotating Speakers that go so well with Hammond Organ's. Tall they are really are horns on a rotator. Now compared to the spin rates, I'd say you'd only get a effect from a TBOLT or something at max RPM on the rotator for it to be noticeable but yeah, I'd say it could be used for show.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

Rheems1

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Shinkansen wrote:Well it DOES make a difference in the overall sound, yes it does. Take a look at the Leslie Rotating Speakers that go so well with Hammond Organ's. Tall they are really are horns on a rotator. Now compared to the spin rates, I'd say you'd only get a effect from a TBOLT or something at max RPM on the rotator for it to be noticeable but yeah, I'd say it could be used for show.

Ohhh the sound of a Hammond B3 running through a well tuned set of Leslie speakers... I don't care how many electronic versions of this organ they make... they will never be able to replicate the sound of the orignal tone wheel design.

Dave

Rheems1

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:15 am

Speaking of the great sound of Hammond, have a listen to Rhoda Scott putting this Hammond B3 (with Leslie single speed rotating speaker) through it's paces on Moanin' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=oIB2ywz3S9o&feature=related. Listen to that pedal bass she is pumping out of there, completely amazing sound and really awesome pedal bass! Ohh.. to bring it back on topic....Thunderbolts that rotate at the 8 rpm setting are louder for shorter amounts of time but they happen quicker.. so it sort of balances itself out.

Dave Fritz

va_nuke_pe

Going back to the original question...

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:00 am

The overall effect of siren rotation speed on audibility is zero - there is no difference. The equivalent sound level is the weighted average sound level over a fixed period. If I have two peaks in 1 minute (with a ramp up and ramp down into the background as the siren direction rotates past the listener location) 3 peaks per minute (with a ramp up and ramp down time that is 50% faster), 4 peaks per minute (ramping time 100% faster), etc., the integrated sound level at the ear drum for that minute is exactly the same and the peak is exactly the same, i.e., no change in equivalent sound level.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:23 am

Spinning a siren to fast can blur out the attack signal and make it difficult to distinguish between different signals. An old FS planning manual I used to have had a few sentences mention this.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”