AllSafe

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:18 pm

I believe Carter/Gents sirens have very heavy rotors, and if the motor were to be mounted vertically it would put undue stress on the bearings and possibly ruin them completely upon running it.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Robert Gift

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:51 pm

AllSafe wrote:I believe Carter/Gents sirens have very heavy rotors, and if the motor were to be mounted vertically it would put undue stress on the bearings and possibly ruin them completely upon running it.
Is that because the bearings are made for lateral rotation?
Yes, I can imagine a different design would be required to support the shaft loading (forcing) axially down through the bearing.

SirenMadness

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:19 pm

They also designed the siren with an inverted rotor so the motor can sit inside the chopper, considerably reducing the siren's height and allowing it to sit completely underneath the deflector.
The E57 does not have an inverted rotor, just a rotor with shortened vanes.
~ Peter Radanovic

danwisbey85

Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:57 pm

AllSafe wrote:I believe Carter/Gents sirens have very heavy rotors, and if the motor were to be mounted vertically it would put undue stress on the bearings and possibly ruin them completely upon running it.
In the picture above with my Siren on it's side. The Rotors were very stiff at turning, and seemed to grind! So not wise having it vertical!

Dan.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”