SirenEnthusiast360

Singing Siren

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:38 pm

That was simply amazing. I've never heard anything like that before.
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

AllSafe

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:32 am

The motor is also brakeless. It has a very light rotor in it (only weighs a few ounces) and can be stopped extremely fast (I believe in less than 1/60s) through the use of dynamic braking.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:56 am

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I think someone has you beat Eric!
If by "Eric" you mean me that guy will have me beat all day long at $3000 just for the motor itself. Lord knows how much the control system for it cost him.

It's cool but doesn't sound that sirenish. Sounds more like a precision controlled die grinder or air ratchet to me. For $3000 you could put together one cool Thunderbolt "organ" with several 1003 chopper/horn units, some pipe and a blower. Run the choppers a various speeds and hook the solenoids to a keyboard of switches. Hmmmm....

Hebrith

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:27 am

Shouldent this be in Audio/Video fourm section,Because its a recording of the siren. :?:
You guys are crazy.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:30 am

CDV777-1 wrote:
That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I think someone has you beat Eric!
If by "Eric" you mean me that guy will have me beat all day long at $3000 just for the motor itself. Lord knows how much the control system for it cost him.

It's cool but doesn't sound that sirenish. Sounds more like a precision controlled die grinder or air ratchet to me. For $3000 you could put together one cool Thunderbolt "organ" with several 1003 chopper/horn units, some pipe and a blower. Run the choppers a various speeds and hook the solenoids to a keyboard of switches. Hmmmm....

Oh yea, there's no way I'd spend that much money on a project, even if I had it! Whatever the case, its still pretty cool he actually fabricated the siren and controls himself. Your right though, it doesn't sound like a siren. I would love to hear a rotor the size of a T-bolt do that, although that would be one hell of a contraption!

SirenEnthusiast360

Singing siren

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:37 am

I wonder what other songs he can make it play.
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:32 am

I would love to hear a rotor the size of a T-bolt do that, although that would be one hell of a contraption!
Imagine how much a motor large enough to control a larger rotor like that would cost. Wonder if starting and stopping a large rotor like that would even be possible. I guess it would be but the motor to do it would have to be huge.

Robert Gift

Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:09 am

CDV777-1 wrote:... Imagine how much a motor large enough to control a larger rotor like that would cost. Wonder if starting and stopping a large rotor like that would even be possible. I guess it would be but the motor to do it would have to be huge.
I doubt a large rotor could be accelerated and decelerated quickly enough. It's mass and inertia would be too great.
Any such actions attempting to suddenly change speeds may over-stress and fracture the rotors.

Justin

Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:03 am

While I'll be conservative and say that it's possible, I wouldn't put any money on it.

Once a big heavy part like a rotor starts spinning, it will take a lot of force to slow or even stop it on the spot; I don't think you can find a motor that is capable of such feats with such large parts.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:09 am

I don't know.....large automated robots with appendages weighing several hundred pounds are able to be precisely moved very rapidly with servo motors (think car assembly line). Of course, they are geared down and move slower, but it's still possible I think. The rotor would have to be a very strong alloy (like titanium) to resist fatigue.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”