Cyrun

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:20 pm

I like the idea of the battery charger to achieve the slower wind-up. It will not be used that often so I don't think it will damage the motor and it is probably the most cost effective way to go for what I want to do. The siren is now mounted on top of a shed, vertically under a model 2 housing. Thanks again for the responses.

Rheems1

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:34 pm

A Federal Q has a top draw amperage of 300 amps, that is a HUGE amount of power and will easily kill a battery very quickly. On our engine we have dual 12 volt batteries running in series and when you hit the Q the lights dim down and if you are trying to go up a hill and your officer is laying on the Q you have to turn to him/her and say something to the effect of "Would you lay off of that G***** Q... I will never make it up this hill! " The whole engine bogs down because it is pulling so much power. I can't imagine running that off of a Jeep battery, it would kill that very quickly unless you have dual batteries and a high output alternator!

Dave Fritz

q2bman

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 am

I don't remember the specs but I would imagine the Q runs at 100 amps and may have a surge current near 300 amps. My q Spins up just like the fire rig but on my factory 80 amp alternator and one 650 CCA battery it runs fine. I can run it several times up to full speed. I can even run it while driving and while operateing the heater and headlamps. Maybe in conjunction with your other warning equipment it draws the engine down. Works very well off my Jeep.
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:00 pm

q2bman wrote:I don't remember the specs but I would imagine the Q runs at 100 amps and may have a surge current near 300 amps. My q Spins up just like the fire rig but on my factory 80 amp alternator and one 650 CCA battery it runs fine. I can run it several times up to full speed. I can even run it while driving and while operateing the heater and headlamps. Maybe in conjunction with your other warning equipment it draws the engine down. Works very well off my Jeep.
If you held it down, like a fire truck responding to a call, it would quickly kill your battery. I had one mounted on my old Blazer for a while. It worked fine peaking a few times, but holding it down bogged down the whole electrical system.

q2bman

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:36 am

Well, I never tried that. Now I will be sure NOT to EVER try it. Thanks.

q2bman

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:48 am

Just woundering, Is that an older Q with the old style motor or the new Q that you had on your blazer. This new Q I have seems to use less current than the old style Q. My new Q is identified by a flat baclplate with the motor shaft extending out of it. The old one had the backplate with the brushes in it, bearing on the end inside the cap and had no shaft sticking out.

My new one seems to run much better, better clutch for sure and it winds up faster to a higher pitch. Don't get me wrong, my headlight still dim to about 50% when I engage my 100amp starter relay to power the monster screamer. Man I love that sound.

And I've never peaked for too long due to my relay only having a 100amp capacity for 10 seconds.

matt boren

Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:34 pm

In response to the 2 12 volt batteries in the engine that you said are wired in series, then that would make 24 volts which obviously would fry the q. I think you meant to say that you had 2 12 volt batteries wired paralell, which would keep you at 12 volts but add the much needed amperage to take care of runnin that baby.
thunderbolt owner setup on my back deck

Robert Gift

Re: Converting a Q

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:28 pm

Cyrun wrote:Can a Federal Q be converted to run on 110v instead of 12v? I know they pull very high amperage on 12volts.
Don't alter the Q.
That is asking for problems.
Finding a 120 AC motor to match the stator mounting and have the correct shaft diameter may be a problem.
Instead, use a 12 volt car battery with a starter motor relay.
That should sound the siren enough for fun.

toomanytoyz

Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Two suggestions, both of which I've used to test "Q"'s:
1 Plating power supply, used for chrome plating operations, put out a couple hundred amps at 12VDC.
2 Mig Welding power supply, you can get cheap ones at Harbor freight. They will put out up to about 150A continuously, but will do higher loads for short periods of time.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”