Robert Gift

Make 2t22 DC motor driven?

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:11 am

Would this make any sense?
Replace three-phase 10 hp motor with DC motor(s) powered from a bank of batteries?
I'm not looking forward to hand-digging 198 feet of two-foot deep trench to bring three-phase conductors to the siren.
And we'd have the battery back-up everyone is lusting after.

Justin

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:25 am

Your main hurdle would be to find a dual shaft DC motor that fits snugly to the rotors and inside the chassis itself, which could be the most difficult task.

Did you look at http://www.phasechanger.com.au/ ?

You should look a that first before potentially destroying a perfectly good siren and from what was explained on the TV show called "The New Inventors" where they got a segment, it isn't your average phase converter.

Have a look at that and get in contact as that device can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

:: Edit ::
More information and the entire show (Phase Changer is segment #2) can be found here: http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/newinven ... 7_ep30.wmv

Archon

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:58 am

ever here of the sentry 16V1T It is battery power dc motors

q2bman

Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:20 am

How many personell are at the fire department? They can't help. It's for the city is it not? Can't they donate some powerlines strung up overhead? You're going through all the other trouble won't they chip in?
Q2B or not 2B that is the question.

Robert Gift

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:52 am

q2bman wrote:How many personell are at the fire department? They can't help. It's for the city is it not? Can't they donate some powerlines strung up overhead? You're going through all the other trouble won't they chip in?
Well, it's really "my baby", so I must do it.
And many of the volunteers live distant from the fire station, so it isn't very easy to get help coordinated.
Plus I am good at diggin' ditch - I've done enough of it in my day.

This is for a poor community, a trailer park, so there is little money.

But I was wondering if DC motors running off batteries would work.

The best, and cheapest, it to bury three-phase conductors to the fire station. As others here have advised, nothing is better than real three-phase.

Thanks, Justin. I filled out their form and e-mailed it.
Could not view the TV program on dial-up, but read their information.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:21 pm

You could do it, but it will cost you about $5,000 for the motor (IF you can even find a dual shaft DC motor that big) plus another $3,000 or so for the control interface. And even with a custom engineered siren, your left with something untested.

Robert, I think it's time to drop this idea of modifying your 2T22....simply put, its not gonna happen and its not gonna happen without substantial cost. You'll either need to mount it at the treatment plan where there is 3-phase power available or look for a new siren.

Robert Gift

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:35 pm

JasonC wrote:You could do it, but it will cost you about $5,000 for the motor (IF you can even find a dual shaft DC motor that big) plus another $3,000 or so for the control interface. And even with a custom engineered siren, your left with something untested.
Robert, I think it's time to drop this idea of modifying your 2T22....simply put, its not gonna happen and its not gonna happen without substantial cost. You'll either need to mount it at the treatment plan where there is 3-phase power available or look for a new siren.
OK.
Wanted to know if even feasible.
Also considered taking the 2t22 apart into two separate 5-hp DC sirens.
But I'd be concerned about getting the motors to mount perfectly without vibration or rotors touching stators, etc.
It should cost less than $900 to bring three-phase from the sewage plant.
Thanks for your advice, Jason.

texaschad25

Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:35 pm

q2bman wrote:How many personell are at the fire department? They can't help. It's for the city is it not? Can't they donate some powerlines strung up overhead? You're going through all the other trouble won't they chip in?
No kidding !! Robert, use your resources. People generally will help volunteer fire departments. Is there not any electricians in your trailer park?? What about plumbers?? Plumbers usually have a ditch digging machine. Ask them to donate the use of their machine for a couple of hours. If that don't work, go to the rent-all place and tell them of your situation. Explain to them that you are digging a ditch for a tornado siren and see if they would be willing to pitch in. Then go to the electric company and get a pole donated. They have all kinds of poles laying around. Sure, it might be used and may only be 40 or 45' long but that will work, and again, tell them that it is for a storm siren and i am sure they will help you with it.

DONT BE AFRAID TO CALL THESE PEOPLE. THE WORST THING THAT THEY CAN SAY IS "NO". And if they do, just pick up the phone and call the next person.. :wink:

But don't give up.!! You will eventually get what you are wanting to accomplish. Believe me, I have to do this with our VFD.

Chad

Daniel

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:29 pm

It would probably be cheaper to make use of a generator and phase invertor setup as a backup system, rather than the investment and possible destruction of a decent siren.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Robert Gift

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Daniel wrote:It would probably be cheaper to make use of a generator and phase invertor setup as a backup system, rather than the investment and possible destruction of a decent siren.
What? Me destroy?

Yes, that was another idea.
Someone is/was willing to donate a gasoline-powered three-phase generator.
We'd have to pay them to rebuild the engine.
I thought of powering the three-phase alternator with a single-phase motor so we need not bother with engine rebuild and engine start-up system. But how much would such a motor cost?
This just gets more and more complicated.
I should start diggin'.
I'd have to dig around those pine trees seen in the background.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”