Robert Gift

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:23 am

pyramid head wrote:..Okay...I am going to pick this apart. You want to make either two seperate DC sirens, one DC powered 3 phase siren, or swap the motor for a single phase one.
Two separate 5-hp DC motors. One 10-hp DC would be horribly expensive. When companies opened, I learned that two 5-hp are still too terribly expensive, so I abandoned that idea.
pyramid head wrote:Then the batteries, another load of money. Proper electronics to put it all together? I don't even want to know. You have your single phase idea, still a good ammount for the motor then you face possible balance or whatever possible problems exsist.
Yes. I am afraid to trade out the three-phase for the single phase motor. Even the guy selling the single phase says to keep the three-phase motor!
pyramid head wrote:...battery backup for 3 phase...LOL
I may design a circuit which converts 240 DC, (from 20 12-Volt batteries in series) to three-phase 60 Hz. But there are so many unknowns and risks, since this would be a prototype. It may work at first, but what if it fails during a real tornado warning?!
If the battery idea would work, then I could charge them from 120 VAC. No digging and bringing three phase to the fire station.
pyramid head wrote:.. I would say your best bet is trading up, or getting a different unit if you are not ambitious enough to dig that trench.
We have no money to trade up. I am happy to dig the trench when I can find out where the power will be.
pyramid head wrote:I understand that you want to hear your baby speak for the first time, but you just will not be able to do it there.
"Lassie" already howls throughout the park from her mobile home stairway pedestal. One must go into the sewage plant laboratory shack and manually switch it on from a protected toggle switch I installed.

Robert Gift

Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:40 am

James wrote:Robert, I'm not trying to be an @$$hole about this but in my opinion, you have three ways to go:
You're not.
Speak your peace! This is the place to do it.
I welcome other's opinions, even if not in agreement with mine.
James wrote:1. Buy a pole and plant it at the sewage treatment plant then have Xcel wire the siren up to the service for you. Your best option.
Yes, that is.
But very expensive for pole and hole.
James wrote:2. Trade the 2T22 for a single phase siren. Your second best option.
Too expensive even if just for shipping. Make do with what we have.
James wrote:3. Spend a crap load of money and contact the proper authorities and have the trench line marked for utilities and then dig the trench and finally lay your three phase cable. Your worst option that wouldn't render the siren useless.
Actually not that expensive and is my plan.
James wrote:As far as the other two options (converting to DC or single phase motor), they would cost more than buying a single phase siren from Sentry and they would be possible killers for the 2T22.
If I manufacture good sine waves properly spaced, it should work. But I don't know what inrush would do to my heavy-amp circuitry.
That is what scares me. I may be damaging things and not knowing it.
Then when needed, it doesn't work.
Or if it does fail during a monthly test, can I fix it in time.
James wrote:Number one is the smartest thing to do.
You're right. But we would prefer it be on the firehouse.
Best is for me to dig the trench and bring three-phase.
Then build my three-phase manufacturer from battery source.

Daniel

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:18 am

Maybe you should just get some air horns.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

texaschad25

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:38 am

or a traffic whistle..

CABLEVision

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:17 am

Here's a link

www.wolo-mfg.com

this is a joke BTW
Last edited by CABLEVision on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

Mr. Machine

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:40 am

Robert Gift wrote:

(My officers all resoundingly said, "No thanks!" when I offered to make the sewage digester our own private swimming pool.)
:lol:
Honk if your horn is broken.

Robert Gift

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:08 am

CABLEVision wrote:Here's a link
www.wolo-mfg.com
I like the arruugaaah horn!

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 am

Robert, I'm not trying to be an @$$hole about this but in my opinion, you have three ways to go:

1. Buy a pole and plant it at the sewage treatment plant then have Xcel wire the siren up to the service for you. Your best option.
I posted this very idea on the 1st page of this thread and here it is again about 70 posts later. Are we going in circles here or what :?: :?:

Robert Gift

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:07 am

CDV777-1 wrote:
1. Buy a pole and plant it at the sewage treatment plant then have Xcel wire the siren up to the service for you. Your best option.
I posted this very idea on the 1st page of this thread and here it is again about 70 posts later. Are we going in circles here or what :?: :?:
Yes.
I reply to whatever questions comments arise.

Daniel

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:11 am

I don't mean automotive air horns. I mean Cunningham Air Whistles, Kockums, Kahlenberg, and so forth. If your power supply is that unreliable, air horns will work with a low voltage valve and the compressor does not need to be three phase.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”