John in MA

Static mounting for mobile sirens--anyone else done this?

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:47 am

Just something I was curious about. I've noticed most of the test videos of collectors' unmounted vehicular sirens usually involve crouching over a car battery with a pair of jumper cables in the driveway. This seemed like a hassle to me so I made a little static test base out of scrap parts for my EG.

Plywood base, 12V switching relay, terminals for battery leads (with alligator clips), and another set of terminals for a remote trigger. Currently using a switch on the end of a 15' cord--lets me lessen the hearing damage.

Do other folks here have setups like this? If you do, I'd be interested in hearing ideas on how I could improve mine.

Last edited by John in MA on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CABLEVision

Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:30 am

Never heard of it but seems like a good setup. I always liked federals use of copper, they also made the resonating horns projector out of copper.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

EL1998P71

Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:43 pm

I am going to do something like that for my Type A.
I was thinking about making a box for it to hide the wiring and a switch. then just have the cord exiting out the back.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

Daniel

Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:29 pm

I should have built a stand like that for my Model 28. The last time I used it before I sold it, I had it on the ground connected with jumper cables. It started rolling around and chewing up gravel, which it fired in all directions. I'm amazed that nothing got broken.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Henry455

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:40 pm

I am in the process of mounting all my sirens in that way. Most are very top heavy and without a mounting base can easily be knocked over. Here is one of them, Federal 77GB.

electrosiren

Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi,

Yes I did the exact same thing. For my Model 28 I couldn't use a relay so I used a car starter solenoid switch. I have a box with a timer circuit inside to switch the solenoid on and off to make an attack wail.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:24 pm

John, I don't expect that relay to last that long, since most are rated 15-30 amps. I'm sure there will be a point in the near future that the relay contact will burn out. The wires are also a tad bit small (they look to be 12AWG) but for that short of a run, it should work fine.

John in MA

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 pm

The siren is rated at 11 amps, the relay is a 30A. Granted, the startup current should be higher than the nameplate rating, but considering the duration I'm not all that worried. Not sure what guage I used for the wiring (scrap cuttings) but as you mention the runs are quite short.

Henry, that siren looks great. Don't see too many two-tone mobile units.

pyramid head

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:22 pm

What is that in the reflection on the siren?
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Daniel

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:33 pm

If you're concerned about overloading the relay, just wire a second relay in parallel with it.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”