Daniel

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:07 am

I don't know about Ely, but these are the ones I grew up with. They are still there but rarely used. They are wrapped with heat cable, but sometimes they would blow a puff of mist on cold days.

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Mr. Machine

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Adam, would you know if there is any information as to which signals correspond with which code wheel number? Perhaps, that paper taped next to the cabinet? For example,

1: Fire
2: Tornado
3: Flood
4: Nuclear Attack
5: Curfew

... and so on. If each numbered code wheel represents a certain situation or reason the siren would be sounded in code, I am curious as to what sort of events the operators were anticipating when they hung all those wheels in that cabinet. There certainly seems to be plenty of choices!

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:40 pm

They only use the 3-3-3 code for tornado warnings now as that is the only purpose the siren serves.

pyramid head

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:16 am

Having 5 different coded signals would be too much for the entire public to remember 100%. The siren would only be good for 3 signals if it were to be used for different warnings (Using attack, coded and alert for different warnings). Fire fighters are the only real reason the coding system was used, because the siren could code out the location. I am not 100% certain on that, so anybody feel free to correct it for me.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Jim_Ferer

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:21 am

Mr. Machine wrote:...If each numbered code wheel represents a certain situation or reason the siren would be sounded in code, I am curious as to what sort of events the operators were anticipating when they hung all those wheels in that cabinet. There certainly seems to be plenty of choices!
These are the old ways. Mostly the codes were box numbers, either the location of a pull box or a "phantom" box. Firemen would know the code and go to the location to meet the person or look for the fire.

Some fire departments still use boxes as part of their locating/dispatch system. For example, World Trade Center 1 was Box 8-0-8-7, and Tower 2 was Box 9-9-9-8. The first firehouse I was in had a telegraph that rang a bell and punched holes in a paper tape; you could look up the number and go to the box location. There were codes for multiple alarms, the death of a firefighter, etc., as well.

slant-40

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 am

Daniel wrote:I don't know about Ely, but these are the ones I grew up with. They are still there but rarely used. They are wrapped with heat cable, but sometimes they would blow a puff of mist on cold days.

Wow, that's an impressive rack there! Looks like at least four different diaphragm/bell sizes too - a 10", an 8", and 4's and 5's too. And that probably sounds mighty dissonant too - like pressing down five adjacent keys on a pipe organ.
wayne

John in MA

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:40 am

That rig should score Boone & Crockett points.

Mr. Machine

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:39 am

I see. Never having lived anywhere more dense in population that The Sticks, there has never been a need for pull boxes and codes.

When the siren went off, it meant "something is happening somewhere," and dispatch was never more difficult than "Fire, Jones Farm" or "Ambulance, sharp curve on South Road." Simple, direct, everyone knew where to go.
Jim_Ferer wrote: The first firehouse I was in had a telegraph that rang a bell and punched holes in a paper tape; you could look up the number and go to the box location. There were codes for multiple alarms, the death of a firefighter, etc., as well.
That sounds incredibly interesting, I would love to see a rig like that.

Rheems1

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:32 pm

In West Pittston, Pa they have a Sterling Model Y that still codes. It is done via dampers over the intakes.... but I am not sure exactly how that would make a code... on the Sterling Y even if you closed off the air intake completely.... air would still get into the rotor and create sound. It would seem that all you would accomplish by closing off the intake would be to create a higher pitched sound.

Dave

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”