scooterbugs25

Tue May 16, 2006 5:35 pm

We have right in the center of Town (Richlands,VA) a Sentry 10v2T with a

sentry 7v8B, at the west side and another 7v8B at east side of town.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Tue May 16, 2006 7:24 pm

Here's my sirens:

San Diego
... none... that I know of...

*EDIT: Now that I think of it, the nuclear plant about 20 mi away has some, and on I-5 North I sometimes see some unidentified types... the nuclear power plant has normal loudspeakers that just sound attack and alert recordings for all I know, I've never been able to hear them test them and probably never will because I am leaving and travelling to Tennessee soon... maybe there will be some there!
But the nuclear plant is situated on the shore sort of... and the premises are surrounded by the loudspeakers plus on both sides of the plant (on the North and South sides) about 1/3 or 1/4 mile away there are some really really old sirens that look like the 8 or 10-port version of this siren: http://www.whelen.com/outdoor/2800.htm
Anyone have any idea what this is? I may be able to snag a pic for you guys soon...

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Wed May 17, 2006 6:47 pm

I've seen two sirens for the San Onofre Nuclear Generator Station along the I-5 as well as well as another one located in the Dana Pt marina. The sirens are some custom made blower fed omnidirectional sirens that look somewhat like a Thunderbolt with 8 horns all the way around. I think they test once a year in October.

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sanclemente_ca.jpg

Here's the announcement for the last test http://www.edison.com/pressroom/pr.asp? ... =0&id=5971

As for my other sirens, I know of two Thunderbolts in West Covina but they are no longer used; my Uncle said when he used to live there, he last heard them in 1988. A new siren system has been put up at the California Institution for Men ( We call it the "Chino Prison" ) to warn of escaped convicts. They test every first Friday of the month; I see June 2nd is the next test date so I'm planning to be near the area. I don't know what sirens are there but the last recording I made from a hill in my neighborhood about 5 miles away had some people saying that they may be 2001s.

Edit: I stopped by the prison on my way home from classes and did a little siren hunting and yes, they do look like new 2001s to me. I wasn't able to get too close because of the outter perimeter fence but that's what it appears to be from about 1000 feet away. I only found one siren though; there are three in the system. The one I found was located at the north western corner of the prison mounted very low on top of a 20 foot watch tower.
Last edited by SoundOff on Thu May 18, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Wed May 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks soundoff...

Yeah, those are the sirens that are placed along the I-5 every so often (we went to Disneyland on a class trip a few weeks ago and I spotted 3 I think...)
But, there are some bullhorn-style sirens around the plant's walls, if you ever drive by there take a look and you will see...
And the Whelen-style sirens are just in the open areas to the left and right of the plant (from I-5), take a look at those and try to identify them.

I really like those white sirens, though, they look cool. They are probably custom-made, as I haven't seen them before. But they look hella loud to me... but yeah, its a nuclear plant, and I haven't seen any that are not around I-5, so they are probably pretty loud. But it suprises me that they are so far away, I never thought that that nuclear plant could make a blast all the way to Disneyland... so I always thought that they were there for a different reason...?

I wish I could hear a test of their sirens!!! If you can, get me a recording of them (I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to stop for a while while they are testing them), just have earmuffs and a good microphone. Unfortunately I can't hear them from my house. And why are all the white sirens along I-5 only north of the plant? I have never seen any siren setup south of the plant...

40V2T22

Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 pm

In Owasso

2T22s

EOWS*1212s (2)

ATIs

In Tulsa

3016s

4004s

2804-2810

In Broken Arrow

4004s

In Collinsville

Vorteces

In Oolagah

Banshees

Model 2

Blasty

Thu May 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Redmond has one siren that I am aware of, a darley model 2 mounted on the side of a power pole. I lived a block away from it for 12 years (though I only recently realized what it was) and never heard it sound. I don't know what it was used for. It's in a residential area, not near a fire station or any important building. My best guess is it was intended for actual air raid warning, but the fact that there aren't any others around town doesn't make much sense.

Apparenlty we used to have another siren, but Daniel informed me a while back that our Fred Meyer store was built over the place where he had seen it :(.

Around here the only sirens I've seen are on fire stations, as we don't really face any natural disasters aside from the possibility of earthquakes. We were trained for them in school, but I've never experienced one that could be felt.
Beware those who teach not how to think, but what to think.

SoundOff

Thu May 18, 2006 10:17 pm

I really like those white sirens, though, they look cool. They are probably custom-made, as I haven't seen them before. But they look hella loud to me... but yeah, its a nuclear plant, and I haven't seen any that are not around I-5, so they are probably pretty loud. But it suprises me that they are so far away, I never thought that that nuclear plant could make a blast all the way to Disneyland... so I always thought that they were there for a different reason
I searched around for those special sirens and they seem to all be located in San Clemente. I found a map of San Clemente's system but it is a very large jpeg so you'll have to scroll around to see the locations.

http://ci.san-clemente.ca.us/sc/Inf/Map ... sirens.jpg

I went siren hunting using that map and MSN Virtual Earth and found some of them. There are probably 4 or 5 you can see from the I-5 but there are also some located further away from the freeway in parks and on top of hills. There were two interesting looking ones I found located on top of hills by a water tank and a telecommunications antenna that appear to be bigger than the rest.

Antenna (Siren 17)
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... CA%2092672

Water tank (Siren 16)
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... CA%2092672

Seeing how they are located on a hill, I think the idea is to cover the surrounding neighborhoods. It says on Edison's site that the "clear zone" of the nuclear plant is a 10 mile radius so I would expect to see some good siren coverage. I think if you look around within 10 mile south of the plant, you'll find some as well; maybe in Carlsbad or Oceanside. Additionally, try looking around San Juan Capistrano as well.

Thunderin' Thunderbolt

Fri May 19, 2006 7:30 am

I've never seen a single air raid siren in person before, I'll have to go check. I live in Carlsbad myself, but if there was a siren around there I would know about it. And anyways, I have never heard one around there.

On the map at the El Camino Real at Carl's Junior... I'll have to go check that one out, see what model it is.

For both Siren photos on Windows Live, are they the white things to the left that look like hollow cylinders? Because if so, it doesn't seem like they would produce much sound...
- Tony L.

SoundOff

Fri May 19, 2006 7:15 pm

Yes, they are the white things on top of the poles. You can try zooming in or clicking on the compass for alternate views. Remember the cylinders are actually horns arranged in a circle.

From a previous thread on the old board, I heard they are very efficient for their design, they are probably 120db at 100 feet.

CABLEVision

Sat May 20, 2006 4:48 am

Thunderin' Thunderbolt wrote:I've never seen a single air raid siren in person before, I'll have to go check. I live in Carlsbad myself, but if there was a siren around there I would know about it. And anyways, I have never heard one around there.

On the map at the El Camino Real at Carl's Junior... I'll have to go check that one out, see what model it is.

For both Siren photos on Windows Live, are they the white things to the left that look like hollow cylinders? Because if so, it doesn't seem like they would produce much sound...

You should go check out dana point. They have some new Whelen 612's and some old custom made toshiba (yes the same people who made tv's) blower powered sirens.
The Cal Trimmer, by Eastman industries

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”