Nelso90

Pretty good STL-10 recording

Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:57 pm

I found this on, blech, LIFA, but it's not fake. First time I've ever heard one in attack with a full wind down.
http://www.longislandfirealarm.com/Mill ... -Sig16.wma

AllSafe

Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:23 am

Unless my ears are deceiving me, that siren sounds like it doesn't have enough power.

kswx29

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:39 am

douro20 wrote:Unless my ears are deceiving me, that siren sounds like it doesn't have enough power.
No, i have heard about 2 STL-10s in my life and that is what they sound like.

Modulator Master

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:08 am

I would try to get the upper Yoder's STL-10, But I need a good recorder...
Monitoring Cambria and Somerset Counties.
http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz13 ... n_archive/

STHboy

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:35 am

douro20 wrote:Unless my ears are deceiving me, that siren sounds like it doesn't have enough power.
I would imagine that's the single-phase version of that siren, which, like the single-phase version of the very similar STH-10, uses a 7.5HP motor rather than the 10HP motor found in the three-phase version of these sirens. The smaller single-phase motor still has enough guts to get the rotor up to speed, but it takes longer to do it. Also, the change in tone over time in a siren with a lower number of ports will be less than that of a siren with a higher port count. So to us, the 12-port STH-10 will seem to wind up faster than a 7-port STL-10 with an identical motor, despite the fact the two actually get up to speed in about the same time. The STL-10 in that recording takes about the same time to get up to speed as the DeWitt Fire Department's single-phase STH-10, so I would infer that we're listening to a single-phase STL-10 in this recording.

Daniel

Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:25 pm

The first STL-10 I'd heard up close was in Missouri Valley, Iowa, and they are not as forceful-sounding as the STH-10 because of the low pitch. Their range, though, is greater. When I lived in Omaha, there was an STL-10 about three miles from my house that I could easily hear indoors at night. Lincoln City, Oregon, got an STL-10 somewhere to replace an old STH-10 as part of their tsunami system, and the coverage is much better in that part of town. This is my all-time favorite American-made, single tone siren, and I'd love to see them back in production.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”