500AT

Federal Electric Model #30

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:04 am

Here is a newspaper article regarding the Village of Clinton, Michigan's new electric fire siren, from September, 1936.
It was voted unanimously by the Village Council, to accept the bid submitted by the Federal Electric Company, of Chicago, Illinois of $835.00 for a new electric fire siren and associated controls. The older siren located at the fire station was struck by lightning in May, and rendered totally inoperable.

The new siren, a ?Federal Electric Model #30,? produces a distinct three-frequency tone, at nearly three times the range of the old siren. Also, it has a unique pitch that is different than other nearby electric sirens, which use a higher or lower tone to notify firemen of pending calls for service.

According to Chief Ward, ?The new siren will be mounted under the water tower, in order give it more distance than the old siren that was on top of the roof of the fire barn.?
Anyone have a clue as to what this siren looked like?
Last edited by 500AT on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

AllSafe

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:20 am

That's over $12,000 in today's money.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

500 AT fan

Re: Federal Electric Model #30

Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:10 am

500AT wrote:Here is a newspaper article regarding the Village of Clinton, Michigan's new electric fire siren, from September, 1936.
It was voted unanimously by the Village Council, to accept the bid submitted by the Federal Electric Company, of Chicago, Illinois of $835.00 for a new electric fire siren and associated controls. The older siren located at the fire station was struck by lightning in May, and rendered totally inoperable.

The new siren, a ?Federal Electric Model #30,? produces a distinct three-frequency tone, at nearly three times the range of the old siren. Also, it has a unique pitch that is different than other nearby electric sirens, which use a higher or lower tone to notify firemen of pending calls for service.

According to Chief Ward, ?The new siren will be mounted under the water tower, in order give it more distance than the old siren that was on top of the roof of the fire barn.?
Anyone have a clue as to what this siren looked like?
Might have been the "Supersized" Fedelcode siren.

thunderbolt1003

Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:50 am

I found a siren on eBay that looks like what you're trying to describe: http://cgi.ebay.com/FEDERAL-AIR-RAID-SI ... 18Q2el1247

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:23 pm

thunderbolt1003 wrote:I found a siren on eBay that looks like what you're trying to describe: http://cgi.ebay.com/FEDERAL-AIR-RAID-SI ... 18Q2el1247
Thats just an old Fedelcode 5. The model 30 is probably a version of that weird 2-tier Fedelcode that I always assumed to be a model 20. Who knows, maybe its a tri-tone version of the 20.

thunderbolt1003

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 pm

I had another siren picture, but I couldnt find it so that was the closest I can get to it lol....

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”