red04stanggt

Overland Park 2001's on crack

Sun May 11, 2008 5:55 am

Its raining. The cold front just blew through and the winds are gusting to 45-50mph for the last couple of hours. My buddy called me up and said the sirens were going off about 4 miles from where I live. I drove over in the area and theres atleast 2-3 2001's malfunctioning. They go on and off in alert for like 10 seconds then shut down. I dont know where any sirens are over there so I pretty much gave up trying to locate one to video it as it wouldnt stay on long enough. I must say it was pretty cool hearing those 2001's screaming...50mph winds and some rain but no nader. I'm sure the news will have somthing about it in the morning

500AT

Sun May 11, 2008 6:05 am

Don't feel bad, two of our 2001's are sick in my area as well. One is less than a year old, and had a motor failure last week. The other had a rotor problem and no longer spins. Thankfully, they have not gone off the in the middle of the night, and scared everyone almost to death. 8)

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sun May 11, 2008 8:48 am

LOL!! I know one malfunctioned due to a "lightning strike" last year, but three this time, all doing a 10second alert... :lol:

Does wind somehow make the siren head move and trigger something inside the computer chip in the box? I really hope not. :?
--bc

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sun May 11, 2008 10:58 am

:lol: That's funny! I have no idea why more than one siren would do that, unless there was something wrong with the main controler. I hope they get that fixed!

I'm seeing more and more videos of 2001's with broken rotators, and general 2001 failures. We had one here in Louisville a couple of months ago that wasn't getting it's supply of AC power for some reason, so when it sounded, it would run only on the batteries, and the battery power would drain. As I've said before, Federal just doesn't make their sirens like they used to.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sun May 11, 2008 1:45 pm

80th and Overland park drive is what is being reported on channel 9.
--bc

StonedChipmunk

Sun May 11, 2008 2:11 pm

ver tum wrote:Federal just doesn't make their sirens like they used to.
They sure don't. It's a shame, too, because they have the best reputation but sell moderate sirens at high prices, as compared to ATI who sells very cheap sirens at low prices. As much as I hate to say it, Whelen's probably going to win the siren market, since its products are well-designed and don't break as often, even though they don't have the balls to go mechanical.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

500 AT fan

Sun May 11, 2008 3:59 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:
ver tum wrote:Federal just doesn't make their sirens like they used to.
They sure don't. It's a shame, too, because they have the best reputation but sell moderate sirens at high prices, as compared to ATI who sells very cheap sirens at low prices. As much as I hate to say it, Whelen's probably going to win the siren market, since its products are well-designed and don't break as often, even though they don't have the balls to go mechanical.
I'd say ASC pwns the siren market for now. These people need to consider getting some nice T-128s' for the community. :D

ver tum

Sun May 11, 2008 6:35 pm

I hate to see Federal going in the direction they're going. This is the second time that I've heard of 2001's going off for no apparent reason. I don't seem to hear much about false alarms with Thunderbolts, Whelens, or ASC sirens these days.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Jim_Ferer

Sun May 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Ver tum,

I know plenty of Tbolts going off by mistake. Of course, what the siren itself is isn't that important compared to the controls.

ver tum

Sun May 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Jim_Ferer wrote:Ver tum,

I know plenty of Tbolts going off by mistake. Of course, what the siren itself is isn't that important compared to the controls.

I've heard of it too, and I've even experienced it myself, but not as much over the past three years as in the past. You're right though, any siren can do that if something is wrong with the controls.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”