azman798

Fired off an email to..

Sun May 18, 2008 11:46 pm

The Emergency Management cordinator of Scottsdale, Arizona. I asked him what the future might hold for the to HOR's in Scottsdale. Here is what I said:

Dear Lorenzo Jones,

I am a 15 year old boy who is a member of "The Siren Board". I am emailing you about two old civil defense sirens located at two of Scottsdale's Public Schools. One is located at Navajo Elementary School, and the other is located at Tonalea Elementary School. Me and the members of The Siren Board would like to know what the future holds for these two sirens. According to my father who grew up within a mile of Navajo Elementary School says the last time he ever remembers the siren at the school sounding was in the late 70's during its regular testing on Saturdays at noon. My grandparents still live at the same location and say they to have not heard the siren sound since the late 70's either. I have come into contact with a son who dad works at Tempe's Emergency Management and he informed me documentation of these sirens might of been lost during the 80's, but I do not know what reason he has to say that. On The Siren Board there are many Fire Chief's and Enthusiasts that would like me to alert them if the sirens were going to be removed so they could purchase and refurbish them (if possible), then put them back into service. Or maybe the City of Scottsdale would add on to the old system to use for Summer Monsoon alerts. Basically I would like any information you could offer about these sirens. Thank you on behalf of me and The Siren Board.

Sincerely,

Brandon d'Entremont

Link to "The Siren Board"
http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums

Lets hope I get a response!!

Jim_Ferer

Mon May 19, 2008 1:18 am

A good, well-worded letter. That will get an answer if anything does. The only potential problem is he might not have known the sirens were there!

azman798

Mon May 19, 2008 2:06 am

Yeah, maybe there is a person who has worked there for a long long time and still remembers them.

thunderbolt69

Mon May 19, 2008 9:44 am

There maybe a person there that may remember about those sirens. I hope the director tells you about the future of the 2 sirens.

bork129

Wed May 21, 2008 2:17 am

I live down the street from the Tonalea siren. I remember them testing it as recently as 1996 (I was born in 1989 and remember the tests as part of my early childhood). I also wrote a letter to the Maricopa County emergency manager, Arizona emergency manager, and the superintendent of the scottsdale school district about the siren on Friday.

azman798

Wed May 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Cool maybe we can finally get some information on these things! I might email both of the schools I am not sure.

Daniel

Wed May 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Are they single tone or dual? It's hard to tell from the photos.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

bork129

Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 pm

I found a third one! It's the same as the Tonalea and Navajo sirens and is located at the old Motorola plant on McDowell and Granite Reef.

azman798

Wed May 21, 2008 7:12 pm

That is awesome well I got really exciting email today from the person I e-mailed, it says:

Brandon,

Lorenzo asked that I reply to your request for information on the Old Civil Defense Sirens. The Siren System was a program of the Maricopa County Division on Emergency Management not a City of Scottsdale program. The system has been decommissioned and the sirens that remain may have been "abandoned" by the county. If you would like to contact Warren Leek the Director of county emergency management he will have more information.

He also wished me good luck with research and left me the guys email and phone number.

BTW just out of curiosity is "warren leek" the guy you sent a letter to? I just wanna know because if you did I will wait and see if you get a response because I don't wanna overload the guy with stuff.

azman798

Thu May 22, 2008 1:56 am

Well I went ahead and sent an email off anyway and got a response, but not from "Warren Leeks" from a Mr. Glen Floe, he just left a simple message saying "Please contact me about the sirens at the number below" with the address, phone number, and name. I guess I will call maybe sometime Friday or this weekend because tomorrow is gonna be to chaotic.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”