Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Question about Cincinnati siren

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:17 pm

I have a question for those of you who are familiar with the locations of all the sirens in Cincinnati...

Can you give me any information about sirens located in the Northside neighborhood (45223 zip code)? I know where one of them is (a Thunderbolt on the fire house at Blue Rock and Cherry), but I'm fairly certain there's one on the Cincinnati Bell building at Hamilton and Westmoreland, which is only a few blocks from my house.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

Justin

Re: Question about Cincinnati siren

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Oldiesmann wrote:Can you give me any information about sirens located in the Northside neighborhood (45223 zip code)?
Any information specifically...?

Oldiesmann

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:12 pm

I'm mainly just curious as to whether or not the thing on the Cincinnati Bell building at Hamilton and Westmoreland is a siren (and if so, what model it is), but if you have information about where any other sirens in the area are, I'd like that as well.
SMF

slant-40

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 pm

I did a birds-eye view with Live Search on both locations - the one on the fire house is clearly visible, but the one at the other location - I don't see it. The building is 2 stories, and has a red-tiled hip roof. From the zoom in distance (25 yds), a T-Bolt would be clearly visible.

Hope this helps
wayne

Oldiesmann

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:42 am

Yeah, for some reason it's not really visible on the ariel shots. It is there, but not clear enough to be able to determine specifically what it is. I'll try to get a photo of it soon.
SMF

Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:16 am

Unless Hamilton County has installed a new siren in that area the only siren around there is at the fire station you mentioned. The next closest sirens surrounding that area fanning out from the fire station are,

Northwest
A large building that sort of resembles a castle, Colerain Ave. and North Bend Rd., - Thunderbolt

Northeast
A school near Winton Ridge Ln and Gwinnett Rd. - Thunderbolt

Northeast
An industrial building on Este Ave. - Thunderbolt

East
On a Fire Station just east of the Spring Grove Cemetary at Circle Ave. and Darrow Ave. - Thunderbolt

Southeast
On a school at Cliffton Ave. and McAlpin Ave. - Thunderbolt

Southwest
A school near Westwood Northern Blvd. and Baltimore Ave. - Thunderbolt

Hope that helps you a little bit,
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

Oldiesmann

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks for the info. I knew about some of those sirens, though I didn't know about the one on the old school in Clifton, or the one on Este (though the only thing in that area that's of any interest to me is a large thrift store).

The "large building that sort of resembles a castle" is a water tower (see http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMYP for more info). It's sort of a local landmark.

I'll try to get a picture of the thing on the phone company building soon to see if anyone can identify it. It certainly looks like a siren, so it's possible it was in use before the fire station was built sometime in the early 1980s (I remember reading on another site recently that the fire companies occupying that station moved there in 1982 from an older station a couple blocks away).
SMF

acoustics101

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:47 pm

I know that there used to be Thunderbolt sirens atop the Federal building at Walnut & Government Place as well as atop an old brick warehouse building near Lytle Park, close to the entrance to the I-471 bridge, although I can't see any of them on Google Earth. I believe there was also one at the courthouse on E. Court & Main. I saw my very first Thunderbolt siren atop the Cincinnati Water Works building off Kellogg Ave. on my way to Coney Island during the late 1950s or early 1960s.

I'm not sure whether or not any of these still exist.

Oldiesmann wrote:I'm mainly just curious as to whether or not the thing on the Cincinnati Bell building at Hamilton and Westmoreland is a siren (and if so, what model it is), but if you have information about where any other sirens in the area are, I'd like that as well.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Speaking of sirens in Cincinnati, there used to be a Thunderbolt atop the former Nu Maid margarine building in St. Bernard visible from I-75 near Procter & Gamble.
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:04 pm

I remember seeing the Thunderbolt atop the Mt. Airy water tower occasionally from when I lived in the Greater Cincinnati area. I was originally from Erlanger, but moved with my wife to Paducah in 1985. So it's still there!

Oldiesmann wrote:The "large building that sort of resembles a castle" is a water tower (see http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMYP for more info). It's sort of a local landmark.

Richard Weisenberger

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”