Tannre

Sat May 23, 2009 8:48 am

Great pictures! These photos really show the true massive size of sirens!
Tanner L - Your one of only a handful of siren experts of the Oregon area!

Robert Gift

Re: Removed 3T22

Sat May 23, 2009 11:15 am

2t22 ABUSE

Before lowering her to the ground, I removed the 22 projectors and top cap of my 2t22.
Took only a short time to unbolthem.
Using a sheet of newspaper between, I stacked each 5 lb cone on top the other so not oneven scratched.

Then I unbolted the tripod.
No need to bring up my chain saw to cut the pole.

This made it easy to transport on my bucket truck without need of a trailer. And it was much easier to handle.
Had I used a trailer, I would have tied it standing straight up on its bottom intake tube with 2x4s againsthe tube blocking it from sliding.

Here, with its 430 lb mass on the threshold of crushing cones, you hit a bump, I can foresee cones collapsing and the monstrosity even shifting position in the trailer.

And then you'd have to straighten cones needlessly damaged and even when straightened, damage will still be visible.

The photo below reveals size of the 2t22A.
"A" = three-phase motor.
"B" designates single-phase. The single phase motor is slightly longer.

Foreference, I'm six feet. (My lieutenant said he did not know they stacked "manure" that high!)
photo discredit: Youqing Cui-Gift
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sun May 24, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat May 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Robert Gift wrote:2t22 ABUSE
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z19/ ... 28.jpg[img]

Before lowering her to the ground, I removed the 22 projectors and top cap of my 2t22.
Using a sheet of newspaper between, I stacked each 5 lb cone on top the other so not oneven scratched.

This made it easy to transport on my bucket truck without need of a trailer. And it was much easier to handle.
Had I used a trailer, I would have tied it standing straight up on its bottom intake tube with 2x4s againsthe tube blocking it from sliding.

Here, with its 430 lb mass on the threshold of crushing cones, you hit a bump, I can foresee cones collapsing and the monstrosity even shifting position in the trailer.

And then you'd have to straighten cones needlessly damaged and even when straightened, damage will still be visible.

"A" = three-phase motor.

Foreference, I'm six feet. (My lieutenant said he did not know manure could be stacked that high!)
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/ ... er.jpg[img]

Derek has removed many sirens without incident so I tend to think he knows what he's doing.

hobbeekid

Sat May 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Robert Gift wrote:2t22 ABUSE

"A" = three-phase motor.

Foreference, I'm six feet. (My lieutenant said he did not know manure could be stacked that high!)

LOMFL!!!! :lol: Give Robert a brake Jason, He's concerned about the equipments well being LOL! You go Robert!!! :D

texaschad25

Sat May 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Jason C. said,
"Derek has removed many sirens without incident so I tend to think he knows what he's doing."

I tend to agree . . . :roll:

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat May 23, 2009 6:15 pm

A sideways timer in the control box! Excellent! :wink:

Robert Gift

Sat May 23, 2009 8:06 pm

DjT1003 wrote:I've removed several sirens (various models) all in the quickest and safest manner.
I do not wast time/money with my crew and equipment treating the siren like a precious child.

I have equipment to lift and transport the siren so I have no need to make the siren transportable manually.
Yes.
I'd do it quickly, too.

Had I not been planning to store it for several months, I'd stand her up flat on the bottom intake tube, braced in by three 2x4s
and guy ropes attached to the eyebolt.

That way no time wasted on removing cones.
I did mine with one bucket truck.
While doing this, the bucketruck is making no money doing trees.

SirenMadness

Sun May 24, 2009 2:41 am

Anyone notice as to how creepy the Whelens sound when they wind up together? Anyways, the 3T22 is a beast! :)
~ Peter Radanovic

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Sun May 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Great pics! Thanks for the extra effort to take those, while on the job. I'm not so good a multi-tasker (I know; that's not a word ;) )... I've tried to take photos of things I'm doing as business, and it never seems to happen. I usually get one before the job starts, then maybe a blurry one after it's all done, and nothing left to see in progress.

As far as the handling of the siren, last time I heard, crane & operator time was about $250/hr. So I have to side with Derek on that one, as it wouldn't make business sense to have the crane and bucket operators leaning on the post drinking Coke while Derek is up the pole fooling around with a wrench and a can of WD-40 for an hour... When I was a TV repairman and carried peoples' TV sets to the shop and back, I moved them quickly and efficiently. I had an excellent record for not scratching & denting, etc. But still, customers would often give me looks as if they thought I was going to damage their TV. I worked on an average of 5 TVs per business day for nearly 20 years, and I think I broke 2 or 3 CRTs, and maybe scratched 10 TVs out of those thousands. And I'm sure if Derek were to crush a projector, he has extra ones for replacement, or knows someone to make new ones.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Mon May 25, 2009 12:30 am

I cracked up at the title of "2t22 Abuse" with the photo of the siren sitting on the trailer. The only photo that would make sense following that title is a photo of a 2t22 that had the pole cut at the bottom and just been dropped like a tree. I believe texaschad25 has seen this. I think he even put a 2t22 back into service that had that done to it. Now that's 2T22 abuse.
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”