CJ

Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:34 pm

Shame they don't test Attack but brilliant recording.
~Charlie J.

dboyle

Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:55 pm

I got mine from the P-10 in Harrisburg, visible from I-83 near Union Deposit Road. This one is just a half mile or so away from the Cyclone on East Park Drive.

I had to use my cell phone camera, since my digital camera doesn't take recordings with sound. I also laid a digital voice recorder on top of my car next to my scanner. About seven minutes prior to the siren activation, the EMAs announced the test over the emergency frequencies.

There was no EAS alert on the radio or on the NOAA weatherband channel on the scanner. I was also disappointed because this is the only audible siren, it seems that Dauphin county always fire up first. So, unlike my last few recordings which were from York county, there were no distant sirens sounding before this kicked in, nor were any other sirens (including the very nearby Cyclone) heard after it stopped. For last year's audio recording, when I simply placed the digital voice recorder on my roof, and left to film the other siren, you could hear my town's cyclone (cumberland county) fire up, and two minutes or so later, you could hear a nearby P-10 kick in (york county). After the cyclone dies, you can hear the P-10, another Cyclone, and a 2001 going at it for about three more minutes.

With the video, when the siren points towards the phone, the noise gets distorted, probably because of vibration. The P-10 sounds kinda sick or hesitant when it fires up, that's not the video, it actually did sound sick.

The only problem is, my phone records and saves videos in Quicktime format, so when I upload them to youtube, the audio is always messed up. I'll have to mess around with it.

MisterTwister55

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Whatever you do, make sure you save it in multiple locations before you play around with it. My friend just lost his recording, but I saved mine in multiple locations.

I never remember seeing that p-10 in person over off 83, but I saw it on some areal images. I did here that many years ago when I was at the McDonalds at 8 am. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was a very low pitched siren.

Hopefully you saw my youtube video, I think you commented on it.

dboyle

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Yeah, I saw it. I need to get a camera that can take videos, and a tripod for it. Funds have been short recently. Those Cyclones have a bite to them. Mine's about a block and a half away and it's still potently loud, sometimes the windows rattle.

That P-10 is pretty easy to spot, if you're heading north on I-83, it's just after the Union Deposit exit. Look to the left, it's right next to a few blue buildings.

MisterTwister55

Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Yep. I think it is just after the "DUI" billboard.

MisterTwister55

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am

Now that the test is over, I guess I should move the video to the Audio/Video forum. Thank you guys for your interest!

Rheems1

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 am

MisterTwister55 wrote:I went out to the 2001 that somebody said was used as a fire siren. It didn't go off for the noon test, but a siren about 300 yards away did.
I am the one that said the 2001 is used as a fire siren.... I will have to watch the video when I get home this morning to find out what you heard. As for sirens in the area.... Hershey has 2 STL-10's, Union Deposit has an SD-10, West Hanover Township has a Whelen 2804 at the station on Route 39, a Siratone 115 at thier main station in Manada Hill and a Whelen 2804 at thier Pikestown Road station. Without seeing the video I can't say for sure.... other than maybe Hummelstown bought a new siren or something. I will have a listen when I get home and if it is indeed a new siren in Hummelstown than I will drive down there to find it!! As for activation frequenices.... it is hard to say anymore.. Dauphin County uses 33.80 for fire dispatchs.. or they did when I still lived in the area. Cumberland County (where New Cumberland is) uses an 800mhz system but might simulcast on 46.06 because I can still hear Cumberland on 46.06 at work (we border Cumberland County). The DTMF tones you hear on 33.80 are to activate Londonderry's siren and Hummelstown's siren for fire calls. I can tell you this.. I used to work 6 miles from Londonderry's siren and whenever 54 had a fire call (especially at night) that thing could blow me across the parking lot!!!

Dave Fritz

Rheems1

Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 am

Okay, got it now. That is the Federal Model A that is mounted on the roof of the fire department in Hummelstown. When they redid thier station I thought it was taken down but I guess not, the 2001 didn't activate because they don't have the CD all call tone programmed into it (or the DTMF failed to activate).

MisterTwister55

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:03 pm

So you are sure that the 2001 still goes off for fire calls for Hummelstown FD?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”