C. Bryant

Reverse 911 Los Angeles County with database of over 7 mil.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:23 am

According to the countys E.M.D. " Its geared to get to you before broadcast news or a marked unit coming down your street " well
I wonder a lot
:roll:
,What if , the ICBM is on its way and lets pull the alarm how many hours _ more like days to dial up all 7.1 million phones :?:

Needless to say Federal Signal, ACA _ etc. etc Siren System is preferred by me. I dare say even ATI could get the alarm out faster.

Please read on...........

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5658.story

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:39 pm

It'll take a big disaster with thousands of casualties to prove how stupid the reverse 911 is. I'm not a fortune teller, but I see it all now. The County of Los Angeles "thinks" it's saving money and going high-tech, then they'll whine and cry when the masses file lawsuits for wrongful deaths after the reverse 911 fails to work. The regular 911 doesn't even work here! I've tried to call it to report car fires, and a man with a baseball bat chasing a woman on foot down the freeway shoulder opposite from where I was, and I got put on hold until my cellphone battery died, listening to all kinds of instructions in foreign languages. Now, I have every telephone number for every local fire, police, highway patrol and county sheriffs office in the area. No more 911 for me. Mark my words... I predicted the real estate crash perfectly, and it didn't take any brains to do that either.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

C. Bryant

Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Another followup linked from the Long Beach Press Telegram on this topic

www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_12787134?

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Another issue I have with the reverse 911, is that it likely will be abused by the government. In California on the freeways, there are large electronic signs which were installed by the taxpayers to post warnings about bad accidents ahead, and to warn of dangerous weather ahead, snow closures, etc. Later, they added the kindapped childrens' advisory to the signs, which I can't fault them for. But once they realized that they could modify the rules for the signs, they wanted to sell time on the signs for advertising! THAT is unacceptable. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not going to be surprised when I see all the traffic on the 405 grinding to a halt to read "FREE coffee today with purchase of a Egg McMuffin!".

How about if you sign up for LA County reverse 911, and next thing you know, you get a text offering you 10% off your next visit to 7-11? Don't anyone dare think for a minute that this couldn't happen!

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Jpressman8

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:29 pm

kx250rider wrote:Another issue I have with the reverse 911, is that it likely will be abused by the government. In California on the freeways, there are large electronic signs which were installed by the taxpayers to post warnings about bad accidents ahead, and to warn of dangerous weather ahead, snow closures, etc. Later, they added the kindapped childrens' advisory to the signs, which I can't fault them for. But once they realized that they could modify the rules for the signs, they wanted to sell time on the signs for advertising! THAT is unacceptable. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not going to be surprised when I see all the traffic on the 405 grinding to a halt to read "FREE coffee today with purchase of a Egg McMuffin!".

How about if you sign up for LA County reverse 911, and next thing you know, you get a text offering you 10% off your next visit to 7-11? Don't anyone dare think for a minute that this couldn't happen!

Charles
I agree with you 100% on that Charles. 2nd largest city in the U.S. + Reverse 911 = bad. We also had the electronic traffic signs put up here 4years ago and I too have wondered about them abusing them with useless ads. They have already put up crap on them like smog alert be kind to the environment fuel up after 6pm. Yet they don't post severe wheather alerts on them.
five liter V8

Franz?

Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:10 am

There was an article in one of the trade mags a couple months ago pointing out the sad situation with Reverse 911. Might have been i Urgent Communications or APCO.

Many of the systems just flat fail to function when tested, of course the taxpayers still pay for them. The article also pointed out several of the system manufacturers were flat out frauds. Gee whoda thunk it.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”