bellyjae

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 am

Federal Signal fan wrote:Whoa, it appears the brass cap on the Thunderbolt has lost it's paint! :o That's surprising, anyway, I've never seen a double-headed Whelen, just another reason to stay away from them when they go off. I think it's neat that Arizona has their siren red, looks like it matches the weather. Great pictures, definitely another reason to move to Arizona, like everyone in Bourbonnais is doing. :lol:

Joshua

Take me with you!!!! I hope to move back this winter. North Phoenix is the place to go. There is a lot of new growth happening there around the Pinnacle Peak area. I just applied for the new Drury Hotel that will be opening there this winter :D
"Hi floor! Make me a sammich!"

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:26 am

Is that t-bolt in Phoenix still in use?

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Thunderboltlover wrote:Is that t-bolt in Phoenix still in use?
No it's not. Earlier in the year, bellyjae went to Phoenix and found an STH-10, and she emailed somebody from the city, and according to the person she emailed, all sirens in the city were used during the Cold War era, and decomissioned for years, and are slowly being taken down.

Sorry bellyjae, I never got around to seeing the STH-10.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

bork129

Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Ninja Squirrel wrote:Nice pictures. Do you know if the river has an ending point where there's only one head of the Whelen? Or the other head could be broken and needs replacement or repair.
There are 3 installations along the Tempe section of the river. Only one installation has two heads, it's located halfway down the stretch of the river. The heads point up and down river. The upriver unit has one head pointing downriver, and the downriver unit has one head pointing upriver. Beacuse I can't explain this well with words, I'll draw it out:

If you can't tell, I have a very, very boring job.
NAVY

dilloncarpenter

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:00 pm

I've noticed that thre is less distance between the top of the model 3/5/7 and the other cowl. And it looks a bit smaller. Could it possibly be a Model 3, or is it just an illusion from the angle that the picture was taken at?
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 pm

dilloncarpenter wrote:I've noticed that thre is less distance between the top of the model 3/5/7 and the other cowl. And it looks a bit smaller. Could it possibly be a Model 3, or is it just an illusion from the angle that the picture was taken at?
I do belive that is a Model 3. Model 3s bottom louver is closer to the top than Model 5/7s are.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

dilloncarpenter

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:16 pm

That's what I was thinking, yet I've never seen a 3. Thanks for the info. :)
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

Ninja Squirrel

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Ah, I understand now, thank you.
The sniper rifle. For when you want to reach out and touch someone. Like blow their head off.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HyperFlameGuy

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”